One problem after a other

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spiketooth

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I started a 75gal, took like 3 weeks to cycle(use filter media from another tank). Had fish for 2 months, got some fish that had ich from the store 4 day battle lost 16 fish and was going to increase so I returned all the fish to the store. I used ich meds for 4 days now. After fish was gone I cranked up the heat to 32c to kill any ich that was still in my tank. Now I have found 10 snails after all this, not sure when the these guys got in my tank. They don't bother be but soon will be out of control if I don't do anything. Today I found to tiny tiny little worms in my tank. What is going on......

Did you have live plants in the tank? If so they likely came on the plants. Most snails are prolific breeders so they're numbers probably multiplied from what you started with. Overfeeding can cause snails to multiply faster. You can try picking them out manually and crush them; if there's too many for that, try adding a piece of lettuce or blanched zucchini to the tank at night; in the morning it should be covered with snails and you can then just remove it and toss it. Repeat as necessary. There are some snail traps you can build too, just Google it.

As for the worms, it's likely planaria (Google it and see if it looks like what you have). Typically caused by overfeeding and not cleaning the substrate enough.You can suck them up with water changes and clean the gravel deeply. If there are a lot of them there are some chemicals you can use to get rid of them but I'd try a manual removal first.

I plan i getting some killer snails to control the numbers. Worms did prob come from overfeeding. Before the little guys were taken back to the pet store, they eat like kings

If you get assassin snails just be mindful these slso multiply! I made the mistake of getting 5 as I thought two would not eat all the snails and now have loads! Although they are real cute

I'd say no more than 3/4 they will eliminate the others and def make more babies! Do you have sand cos mine hide in the sand most of the time and the only time I really got to see them is since the pest snails have gone and they come out to eat the algae wafers!

Sounds easy, but feed less. I used to feed too much and figured it would be ok, but the tank would get cloudy and smelly quick. I started feeding less until my tank became crystal clear. Fish dont need much food, definitely not as much as i was trying to feed them. If you have gravel, really get down deep with a gravel cleaner and see all the astiness come out!

Back
Top Bottom