Opinions on moving things around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trustemedia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wanted to throw out my situation and see what everyone comes up with... maybe something I haven't thought about.

I'm picking up what a person told me was a 300 gallon tank. However, I took the measurements they gave me and looks up at a 220 gallon tank. Either way, it's going to be big. I want to bring it in and set it up, obviously - at minimal cost and without purchasing new fish.

Here's what I have currently:

75 gallon Tanganyikan tank with:

12 Xenotilapia Ochrogenys Ndole Bay - spawning regularly
6 Lamprologus Ocellatus Gold
9 Cyprichromis microlepidotus caramba
2 Julidochromis Marlieri
1 eretmodus cyanostictus Congo Orange
3 Callochromis Stappersii Raspberry Head

I also have 2 Figure Eight Puffers who have been together forever and are very good boys or girls in a 30 gallon with a pair of knight gobies who spawn like once a week, but I just can't seem to raise the fry, so they are eaten each week and they do it again. Ugh.
A pair of bumble bee gobies.
3 Peacock Gobies/Gudgeons

In a 55 gallon, I have several little gobies (rhinogobius, stiphodon, sicyopus, sicyopterus, etc.) and 10 pseudomugil gertrudae Aru II

I have 4 Enantiopus Melanogenys in a 55 gallon tank separate from the Ochrogenys Tang Tank. They are young, but are now spawning since moving them. They were just being pushed into the corner by Capone - the dominant Ochrogenys. I finally got 5 fry (4 saved) and they just spawned again today and are holding. 1 male - 3 females. They are in a tank with fry growing out. They seem to leave the fry alone and carry on with their mating habits. I am currently growing out Callochromis Stappersii and Xenotilapia Ochrogenys Ndole Bay fry as well as the Enantiopus Melanogenys fry.

I have a 10 gallon shrimp tank.

1 have 3 gallon tank with fry in it where I let mom's spit.

I love my tanks, but I get tired and sore. I have Celiac and Fibro and sometimes I can't lift my buckets anymore. I'm tired after about 3 water changes. I'd really like to just keep a couple big tanks and forget the rest, but not sure how that would work out having to keep grow out tanks and tank's for quarantines or females to spit and the shrimp, etc.

If you had a 220, 75, 55....How would you rearrange this? I was thinking of getting all the tangs together since the tank would be big enough now. Moving the gobies to the 75 and moving the brackish to the 55. but then what? I keep the 30 for grow out and the 10 gallon shrimp tank and the 3 gallon or quarantine and females to spit. I only lose 1 55 gallon tank. Maybe a refugium in the 220 where the shrimp live? Can that work? I hate that 10 gallon. It bows and the light sucks. Any advice? I'm picking up the monster tank this week. I love my Tangs, Love my gobies, Love my figure 8s.

My back also gets really sore and achy when I lift the buckets of water back and forth. I have 3 tanks a 25 g, 29 g, and a 20 g. There is a really good gravel cleaner called a python gavel vac and it just hooks up to your closest sink and you can siphon out water directly to your sink or even put water back in your tank. Depending on we're your closest sink is you might have to buy more tubing. It only comes with seven feet of tubbing but you can usually buy extra tubbing at any hardware store or if your aquarium store sells it. If you have this siphon you can keep multiple aquariums easily but in my opinion it would be easier just to have one big tank. I hoped I helped a bit sorry I could not answer all of you questions.

I'm celiac too!!
If you had a large pile if rock or driftwood where only the shrimp would fit into they would be fine IMO

You could also just use something like a maxi flow pump to lift water from your buckets on the floor. Run a hose directly from a tap outside to your buckets. That way all the water you would have to carry is some hot water to match the temperature.

I have no idea what will be compatible if you combine some tanks so i'm no help there. Nice tank (220g) though and i'm very envious about your fish collection. I'd like to be able to find a decently priced 75g. I have a 40gthat needs an end pane repaired. A 3' 36g I have 2 Comets in while i plan and build them a portable pond (I rent) Will add a community to that when the Comets are in the pond. A running 20g i am stocking with Neon tetras, Kuhli Loaches and Harlequin Rasboras. Love this tank the most since i kept multiple Comets in a 20g for about 8 years till i found out their requirements. Small fish are a nice change. I also have 2 spare 20's ready to fill plus a 6g i plan to make a shrimp tank.

Maybe with the 55 you won't have fish in you could set up a plant grow out tank near a tap for convenience and sell some of the trimmings you get from it.

I am glad you are still able to keep some Aquariums despite your health issues. I think you could find a pretty simple solution like a water pump in a bucket and a hose from a tap outside to negate carrying buckets. Or just the ready made pyhton, but i don't know what they cost.

I'm celiac too!!
If you had a large pile if rock or driftwood where only the shrimp would fit into they would be fine IMO

Congrats on having Celiac LOL! Took me like 8 years to figure that one out. I have complaints, but this **** fibro I have now hurts like a SOB. Ugh.

I will look into that. Good idea. :)

You could also just use something like a maxi flow pump to lift water from your buckets on the floor. Run a hose directly from a tap outside to your buckets. That way all the water you would have to carry is some hot water to match the temperature.

I have no idea what will be compatible if you combine some tanks so i'm no help there. Nice tank (220g) though and i'm very envious about your fish collection. I'd like to be able to find a decently priced 75g. I have a 40gthat needs an end pane repaired. A 3' 36g I have 2 Comets in while i plan and build them a portable pond (I rent) Will add a community to that when the Comets are in the pond. A running 20g i am stocking with Neon tetras, Kuhli Loaches and Harlequin Rasboras. Love this tank the most since i kept multiple Comets in a 20g for about 8 years till i found out their requirements. Small fish are a nice change. I also have 2 spare 20's ready to fill plus a 6g i plan to make a shrimp tank.

Maybe with the 55 you won't have fish in you could set up a plant grow out tank near a tap for convenience and sell some of the trimmings you get from it.

I am glad you are still able to keep some Aquariums despite your health issues. I think you could find a pretty simple solution like a water pump in a bucket and a hose from a tap outside to negate carrying buckets. Or just the ready made pyhton, but i don't know what they cost.

Well, at least I'm not the only one with multiplying tanks. :lol: I think they breed. :lol:

I did actually buy a drill hose pump thing, but haven't used it yet. Guess I should. :facepalm:

"Nice tank (220g) though and i'm very envious about your fish collection."
Thanks - I'm getting it for $75!! Thanks for the comment on the fish collection. You have a nice collection yourself. I got my 75 gallon for $35. I actually got them both by posting my own ad on craigslist that I was looking for a tank "x" amount of gallons or larger and named my price. Both times someone got back to me with a larger tank than I was looking for with a price way lower than I was willing to give. Gotta love good people.

My back also gets really sore and achy when I lift the buckets of water back and forth. I have 3 tanks a 25 g, 29 g, and a 20 g. There is a really good gravel cleaner called a python gavel vac and it just hooks up to your closest sink and you can siphon out water directly to your sink or even put water back in your tank. Depending on we're your closest sink is you might have to buy more tubing. It only comes with seven feet of tubbing but you can usually buy extra tubbing at any hardware store or if your aquarium store sells it. If you have this siphon you can keep multiple aquariums easily but in my opinion it would be easier just to have one big tank. I hoped I helped a bit sorry I could not answer all of you questions.

I'll look into that. Thanks. I thought the bucket hauling was keeping my arms in shape! But, it seems now I only have so much energy for the day and when I'm out, I'm out. I try to use my arms and avoid the back, but I, too, hurt my back. My arms just get so weak and tired anymore, that I can't even lift a bucket off the ground after 3 tanks. Stinks. Wish I could get my old self back. But, yes, I am in agreement with one tank. I'd like to get to just 3 - the big one I''m getting, he 75g and the 55g since I got a brand new one here. I'd like to eliminate all the little tanks. Maybe I should just not care about raising fry. It's just hard when I see the little buggers and I have some rarer fish, so when they breed, I see it as a miracle.

Well, I just found out the person selling it to me found a crack in the bottom. Dang it! It was 84x24x30, a 265 gallon. $75. And now it has a crack. From what I read, you shouldn't trust that much weight a pressure on a crack and to replace the bottom. I called the glass company and it was $418.56 to buy a new piece to fit the bottom. Ouch. Ugh. Hopes and dreams shattered. Back to waiting for the next good deal to come by.

Back
Top Bottom