Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its a single website, citing an anonymous source, making experimental claims that aren't backed up by a peer review process vs. Seachems product literature that also don't seem to be backed up by independent testing, but many hobbyists will anecdotally say does what Seachem claim.

Neither constitutes proof. The claims are also about seachem not fritz, but i would expect the website author would reach similar conclusions about similar products making similar claims.

For me, the safest approach would be to act with scepticism. Water changes and cycling properly will be your best approach to dealing with ammonia, and using a product that claims to detoxify the waste products isnt going to do any harm as long as it is only the backup to doing water changes.

I guess it comes down to who you trust more. Someone who wont put their name next to their claims or Seachem and the hobby in general.

Unfortunately it’s hard to comment either way. There are several companies with similar products (api ammo lock another one). I can’t remember specific testing here on this forum from anyone, a thread search may find something that someone has posted on their observations.

Generally it is a rare thread where these products seem to have actually caused a problem (mainly with cycling tanks).

It’s very intriguing - started looking through chemical ammonia removal in wastewater but so far no luck. Which could be suggestive ... or not :)

The site was founded like 2-3 years ago by the author. I found it then and doing a little detective work, the author was found inside the web site. Verified he is a degreed retired chemist with over 50 patents, found his Facebook page and he lives retired in Florida. Posting his full testing statistics took many years to prove/disprove the information. Knowing that the Aquarium Industry is an unregulated industry, they can say and print anything they want without proof of anything. And they all do. If the manufacturer can not prove the product does what it says, the only recourse is to prove that it does not do what it says. Which in most cases the author has done. Many have researched his findings and have found them to be correct deep in the web. Just don't believe any manufactures web sites or forums.

Everyone should read that web site to learn how badly the kool aid has taken effect. As far as Fritz goes, it's the same as Prime and all other dechlorinators. They even have the same instructions (imagine that), that state when you change water and you can use up to 5 times the amount. All companies can to the same, they just don't state it.

Pretty simple chemistry. All dechlorinators are reducers. Ammonia can only be removed by oxidation, period (not including water changes). You can not have a product be a reducer and oxidation in one, it's impossible.

But that's how they all work. Do your water change, add your dechlorinator and of course during the water change your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are removed to a lower level. Simple math and no magic. As folks stated before, if you have ammonia in your tank, your fish are breathing that ammonia.

Feel free to contact the manufacturers themselves like hundreds have, only to find out that after 20 years that company has no proof, no scientific studies, no chemist, no universities and no government studies to prove that their products do what they state.

The author mentions the majority of companies and most all fail the litmus test. He even tells you how you can prove his results yourself if you want. Most do not because they don't want to put forth the effort.

As far as Seachem goes, they don't even have one patent on any of their products. I did a patent search on 3 patent site and found nothing. Next time you are in your favorite fish store, pick up a Seachem product and look for the patent or even a patent pending notification and you will find none. Even Seachem admits they have no patents, only Trademark names. They also get very defensive when challenged.

Read that site and learn what you've been missing. Then go verify his finding on the web like others have. You will be amazed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom