Oranda- Floating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RossyBoy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys need your advice please!

I have a chocolate brown Oranda, not very old.

2nite i've noticed it's finding it hard to swim, and spending a lot of time at the top on the surface. It's not unbalanced or upside down but seems to be at the top a lot.

Anything i can do for it?

Should i transfer into a seperate tank i have, which has no filters to give it time away from the current, etc?

Sounds like a swim bladder issue. Have you seen him poop at all? It may be constipation. I would first try feeding some frozen peas. Stop feeding other foods if there are no other tank mates. You can also add some epsom salts to the water to help relieve fluids.

What size tank and what are the other tankmates? What are your water parameters? Goldfish are prone to swim bladder illnesses.

Hey thanks for quick reply.

It's a 40 litre setup, with the oranda in question, a plain goldfish and another red oranda.

Not seen it poop no, i have a little tank i could seperate it to, should i do this and feed it some broken up peas because it couldn't eat a full one?

Yup, i can almost definately say its a swim bladder problem. That or ammonia poisoning. Both are really common with goldfish

The peas help so much for the Swim bladder disorder

Here is what you do to feed it peas:

1. microwave them for a few seconds

2. Tane them one by one (by hand) and squeeze until the centre comes out, throw away the skin and keep the insides.

3. Chop up the insides so the fish can eat them

4. Put them in the tank and hope the fish eats them

Knowing the tank saize and parameters will help too. Do you have test kits, it the tank cycled?

I don't have test kits just yet. Urrm i have a seperate tank, shall i place it in that so the other fish don't munch on the peas and also to give the oranda a rest from the filter current/air pump?

goldfish NEED a filter, the air is a good thing too. Leave him there. The other fish eating the peas is not a bad thing, just hopefully they dont gobble them up beofre the sick one can. I wouldn't put that fish through the stress of the move into a separate tank anyway.

Right then, will go feed him some pea's in just a second.

Let you guys know how i get on!!

Just to check guys...

The peas won't do the other fish any harm will they?

I got the oranda to eat 2 big pieces, but the others are scattered on the gravel for now with the others trying to eat them

The peas won't hurt the fish at all. Veggies are good for fish, :). It's good that the oranda ate some. If the rest of the peas aren't gone in a couple of hours, I would remove them.

40 litres is only 10 gals. That tank is way to small for 3 goldfish. You will need to do a lot of water changes to keep the fish healthy. You should also think of a bigger tank as soon as you are able. Regular goldfish requires a minimun of 10 gals per fish, recommended is 20 gals for the first fish, 10 for each additional one. Goldfish are messy fish and the problem is likely due to ammonia spikes. How often do you do water changes and how much at a time?

About 25% at a time, twice a week.

I know this tank is too small but i didn't know until after buying it all, the pet shop advised me it could cater easily for 4/5 fish.

I know i should have done more research!!!

I'll be able to move the fish into a larger aquarium sometime in June/July. Hope they'll be ok until then.

Ah the reliable lfs! They do want to sell you more fish you know. I'm sure if you keep up on water changes they will be fine until July. Good for you planning an upgrade.

Yer need some advice on that actually!!!

It'll be for my new appartment, so space is no object as it'll be in my front room and i plan to use the existing tank in my room, with tropical fish.

Any recommendations for a good quality tank to use ? Best shape, etc. Also for freshwater any particular breeds etc etc?

Help would be appreciated!

if this is going to be a larger tank that you plan on putting the goldfish in, it would not be a good idea. Goldfish are coldwater fish and do not mix well with tropical fish. Goldfish prefer low temperatures 65-70F.

If this tank is for goldfish get one with a large footprint. One that is not overly tall, but long and deep.

I like the old fashioned rectangular tanks, but i have never owned anything other than them. A bowfront tank would be nice aswell.

For goldfish I prefer a rectangular tank. I also wouldn't put tropical fish and goldfish together. If planning on 2 new tanks, I'd get a bowfront for the tropicals and a rectangular, long one for the goldfish.

1. Peas & veggies are good for all goldfish. To prevent constipation & the resulting swim bladder problems, feed fancies peas/veggies at least once a week. Also, fancies are more prone to constipation with low temps. They actually should be kept in low 70's, so a heater is needed if you are in some place cold.

2. Best tank would be one with highest surface area to volume ratio. A narrow (front to back) tank (like a 30 tall, Hex, etc) is not ideal. A 40 or 50 Breeder would be ideal for 3 golds (this is a 36" wide tank, unlike the 48" wide "show" tanks). If you are planning more golds, you can go whole hog & go for a 70 gal .... or a small indoor pond ....

Back
Top Bottom