oranda's head is falling off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seasons

Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hiya
I hope someone can help with this. My Oranda's head is starting to loosen considerably and looks like chunks of it will be coming off soon. The tank appears to be in good health and all other fish are fine. The Oranda seems fine otherwise. Anyone have any advise. I've just put in some salt in case of infection but that isn't going to solve the problem...if it is a problem ???

Thanks
Seasons

Erm, could you be a little more descriptive? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by its "head is starting to loosen considerably". Do you mean the wen (which is what I'm guessing)? Are there any other signs of problems (holes in the wen, fast breathing, not eating)?

Hmmm ok...its hard to explain....I'm not sure if its called a wen...he looks like a bubble head....lol......ok...theres chunks of it that are lose and look like their going to fall off...kinda like having a bunch of little eggs on his head but some of them are grouping off and lose.....he also has what looks like dead cells in the very front of it ...yellowish colour. He eats great and is active and breathing fine. Some of the other fish are trying to pick at his head so he's getting a few sores.
thanks
Seasons

Ugh. Yeah, the bumpy thingie on the head is the wen, and it sounds like your oranda has an infection there. I suggest isolating him, and treating him with a broad spectrum antibiotic like kanacyn or oxytetracycline; if you can find a medicated food even better, but one which is added to the tank water is fine. I wouldnt treat him in the tank; you don't want to treat non sick fish, don't want to destroy the good bacteria colony with the antibiotics and this way the open wounds won't continue to be picked at by the others and can heal.

Back
Top Bottom