Ornaments with green Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bhunsucker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 off white ornaments in my aquarium. Today I noticed that they are starting to get some green algae on them. What do I need to do about this?

Tiger_Oscar said:
Can you take it out and clean it off?? Will this effect the beneficial bacteria?

I've got "caves" in my aquarium that have green algae on them. I wasnt to concerned about loosing the bacteria on them as to why the algae was there and if I was doing something to create the algae (i.e. over feeding, leaving lights on to long, etc..). I was more concerned that this might be a sign of a bigger problem. My tank has cycled so the beneficial bacteria should be fine. I'm not messing with the filter or destrubing any other things in the setup. So I dont think that I'm at risk of loosing that much beneficial bacteria.

If its just the green dusty algae its kind of a given with a planted tank.. its not one of the enviromental intellegents indicators that some of the algaes are..

About once a month, I pull certain green algae-covered objects out of my tank and give them a good scrubbing with hot water and a fingernail brush dedicated for the task. White objects may require more frequent attention, which is why I tend to avoid them, along with light colored substrates.

Yea I'm starting to re-think my idea about the white caves that I have in my tank. They may have to go! The other objects are darker in color so I guess you just dont see it on them.

Bhunsucker said:
Tiger_Oscar said:
Can you take it out and clean it off?? Will this effect the beneficial bacteria?

I've got "caves" in my aquarium that have green algae on them. I wasnt to concerned about loosing the bacteria on them as to why the algae was there and if I was doing something to create the algae (i.e. over feeding, leaving lights on to long, etc..). I was more concerned that this might be a sign of a bigger problem. My tank has cycled so the beneficial bacteria should be fine. I'm not messing with the filter or destrubing any other things in the setup. So I dont think that I'm at risk of loosing that much beneficial bacteria.

Ok I see what your saying. I learned quick about leaving the lights on I try to shut them off for 10-12 hours daily. I didn't really think cleaning the ornaments would effect the beneficial bacteria but I was curious what you all would say.

What do you all think about the tabs that you drop in the tank to remove algae? I used them after I cleaned the tank. I know I should have asked this before but now I'm concerned. I know they affect crabs and some other fish. Do any of you use these?

Hydrogen Peroxide works fairly well when you soak your decorations in it. It will clean silk plants well too. As a bonus, it breaks down into water and is generally harmless to use. I of course rinse stuff real well after using it.

greenmaji said:
chemicals are bad.. I know I dont use anything of the sort.. never have..

Ok well it's done and worked pretty good. I'm going to stay away from it in the future. thanks :wink:

As long as it isnt the nasty slimy bluegreen or brown algae I wouldnt worry about it to much.
A little healthy green algae gives the fish something to snack on once in awhile. In the wild the fish would have algae in its surroundings. A little bit gives the tank a more natural look.

Back
Top Bottom