os this normal for a discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baygon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

My new discus started eating yesterday since i introduced him a week ago but today he stopped eating again. One thing i noticed him is his color changed from dark to white. Is this normal? I added Blackwater extract and kept ph 6.8 to try to mke him happy and start to eat again.
Please see photos.

ForumRunner_20120911_215449.jpg

ForumRunner_20120911_215457.jpg

I believe he's stressed.
Fw fish will usually go dark colors but ive seen them go whiter before.

Try a pwc? And keep trying for feeding him, sometimes it just takes time.

Zactheninja said:
Try a pwc? And keep trying for feeding him, sometimes it just takes time.

Im sorry but what is pwc?

I had a couple discus get stressed like that same type of color change and everything and I got them to pull through so there's hope! I would bring my temp to 88 that seemed to help my guys more then anything else. Also give them at least 50% water changes twice a week make sure the temp stays stable and doesn't drop at all till there all better. Hope he gets well soon

It's also kind of important to know KH/GH/TDS with discus, as they are very sensitive to that parameter. Most serious discus keepers will use mostly RODI water for this reason. Are you using straight tap water?

Also, when you say that you were keeping the pH down, what were you using to do that?

Jesselav1233 said:
What is black water extract? Do you test for Amm, nitri, nitra? What's the reading? Do you use liquid tests?

Yes i use liquid test from api and all seems fine.

aqua_chem said:
It's also kind of important to know KH/GH/TDS with discus, as they are very sensitive to that parameter. Most serious discus keepers will use mostly RODI water for this reason. Are you using straight tap water?

Also, when you say that you were keeping the pH down, what were you using to do that?

I am currently using tap water and treat with tetra safe plus. Since the water has ph 7.5 i use Seachem discus buffer to lower the ph.

The Blackwater extra (tetra brand) is a chem that contains substances that help angelfish, discus, tetras, accommodate better the environment.

Generally speaking, chemicals that change pH usually cause more harm than good. Do you have any idea how "hard" your water is?

aqua_chem said:
Generally speaking, chemicals that change pH usually cause more harm than good. Do you have any idea how "hard" your water is?

I don't know because they dont sell kh gh test kit here... I think the water is kind of hard because they say if you mix water with little bit of soap and the bubble is low then the water is hard.

I have been doing 40% WC everyday to keep the tank as clean as possible. Will i harm the fish doing too much WC everday? I am considering getting a canister filter but it is not the same as a RO/DI filter right?

-Regards

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom