Oscar's, Astronotus ocellatus, types/varities.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChileRelleno

Aquarium Advice Addict
Devilshturtles,
I dedicate this thread to you and your growing knowledge of Oscars and their many variants :D

First off I'll introduce y'all to my dream fish,
yellow-oscar.jpg

Some call it a "Lemon O", "Yellow O" or "Gold/en O".
No folks its not dyed, its believed to be a line bred color morph of a "Gold Albino".
Solid Gold :shock: :D :!:
Now this is a drop dead beautiful fish :!:
Golden%20Oscar.jpg

http://www.greenparktropical.com/Fish/images/Cichlids/Golden Oscar.jpg

Types and kinds of Oscars
Morphs of Astronotus ocellatus

First lets get rid of the fake types! ANY current oscar on the market with "berry" in the name is just dyed! Dyed fish do NOT stay that color and are a waste of money! Even more important dyeing fish is cruel - DO NOT BUY these fish! The less that are sold the less that are created and sold to unsespecting people!

Now on to the real/true color morphs and sub-species of Atronotus aka Oscars.

Normal Oscars - Black oscar (aka common or wild type)
Tiger Oscars
Red tiger
Red
Albino
Albino Red Oscars (can be pink,red or orange) aka bloody albinos
Albino Pink Oscars (line bred albino reds)
Sunshine Albino
Patternless Green
Gold
Long finned (seen in most readily available color morphs)
Half Black ( developed by Herb Fogel,rarely heard of and I think gone from the hobby)
Purple (rarely heard of and I think "true purples" are gone from the hobby)
Blue aka Slate an offshoot of the purples
Pied aka Piebald (I've only heard of a few wild collected specimens that were sold for high amounts of money)
White,high white,ghost (and other names have been used) - some appear to be something different but they ALL grow into, just reduced pattern albinos
Lemon - belived to be line bred gold albinos - they keep the yellow coloring and are not dyed.
From time to time theres also a few new cool new names that suddenly pop up for oscar but 99% of these are just sales pitches or marketing attempts for oscars that have been around under a different name for a long time.
OTHER SPECIES:

Along with the common oscar - Astronotus ocellatus there are reportedly two?, possiably more other species includeing

Astronotus orbiculatus or Astronotus obicullaris (controversial) AKA striped oscar
Astronotus crassipinnis AKA striped Oscar or black oscar which are not often bred but are occasionally avaliable as medium sized imported fish.

and Astronotus "sp. venezula"

RogerMcAllen said:
I'm lazy, can you get use some nice pictures on the rest of those oscars?
I do my research & searching, you need to do yours...
Sorry Charlie! :wink: (Remember the old Starkist Tuna commercials?)

Back
Top Bottom