Oto with fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finntastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I have 6 otos in my discus tank and one has been acting really weird and has a fungus growing on him. He is always by himself and never seems to eat anymore, and just sits there on a leaf. He has a white growth on his side toward the tail and I can't identify it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1452910320578.jpg
    1452910320578.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 53
And this is in the discus tank too??? Dude...

it's time to keep the discus by themselves if keeping them alive is a priority. My 2 cents. I'm not going to speculate on the type of fungus.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And this is in the discus tank too??? Dude...

it's time to keep the discus by themselves if keeping them alive is a priority. My 2 cents. I'm not going to speculate on the type of fungus.

I just moved the oto. I just saw him and moved him

I specifically mean keeping your discus solely by themselves, all the good breeders do. Just something to think about, I know tank space is limited. Wish I could be more help on the fungus, reach out to coralbandit.

I specifically mean keeping your discus solely by themselves, all the good breeders do. Just something to think about, I know tank space is limited. Wish I could be more help on the fungus, reach out to coralbandit.

Oh, I know they do but my otos and suckermouth cats clean up very well. And all but the otos will be moved at a separate tank once I transfer my cichlids to my 40g and recycle and setup that tank.

This is not going to help with the immediate issue, but moving forward you should consider QT for ALL new acquisitions. It costs less to treat a smaller QT tank than a larger display tank. I know not everyone does it but the risk to the existing STOCK is too much IMO.
I only own three tanks but one is a dedicated holding/QT tank.
Is the fungus similar to what you saw in the goldfish a few weeks back?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is not going to help with the immediate issue, but moving forward you should consider QT for ALL new acquisitions. It costs less to treat a smaller QT tank than a larger display tank. I know not everyone does it but the risk to the existing STOCK is too much IMO.
I only own three tanks but one is a dedicated holding/QT tank.
Is the fungus similar to what you saw in the goldfish a few weeks back?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The otos have been in the tank for about 4 weeks and were quarantined. And he is moved to quarantine. And it doesn't look like the goldie fungus, that was only on the fins and died immediately in the heat while as this is on the body and doesn't seem to mind the heat.

Antifungal fish medications......
1 Methylene Blue
2 Acriflavine
3 Malachite/Formalin (they claim it does never worked for me but 99% of "fungus" are bacteria anways.)
4 Furan-2
Heat and clean water!

Antifungal fish medications......
1 Methylene Blue
2 Acriflavine
3 Malachite/Formalin (they claim it does never worked for me but 99% of "fungus" are bacteria anways.)
4 Furan-2
Heat and clean water!

Okay thanks

Back
Top Bottom