Oto without a tail.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I brought home 2 otos yesterday from the fish store. I acclimated them and let them get settled for the night. Today when I went to feed the fish, I noticed that one of the new otos was missing its tail. It seems to be grazing the tank and moving fine, he's just missing the tail haha. Is this a huge concern, or will it grow back eventually. I attached a picture of it here.

Attachments

• image-3002759421.jpg
    image-3002759421.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 106
He looks pretty stressed, so it may be an issue. He could have lost it to fin rot or being nipped, or from something else. Who knows?
For him to do well in your tank, make sure to keep the water really clean. Honestly, I don't know if he will be ok or not, but clean water will give him the best chance of acclimating well. Good to hear he is swimming around and grazing though.

Just an update on the oto...it seems to be doing much better. The white spot on its head has gotten smaller, and the color on its sides has really come through. It looks like its going to make it! Im still a little concerned about the tail, but it seems to be moving around fine. I'll update again in a few days.

Glad to hear he is getting around ok. :)
Sometimes fins can take a bit to grow back, but as long as it doesn't look any worse, hopefully it will start growing back soon.

So the tail seems to be growing back a little bit. I do have another concern as of now though. I realized today that it has a little white spot on its side (looks like an ich spot). The bigger white mess on the top seems to be getting smaller, but its developed this white spec on its side. Should I start treating for Ich at this point, or should I let it go and see what happens. I only raise the water temp to treat it, but im worried about the new plants I just put in. Should I wait or jump right to it?

Keep doing water changes. What's the temp at now?

Stress can certainly be a factor with ich.

What else is in this tank?

I keep the tank at 84. I have 1 female GBR, 3 Apistos (1 male, 2 female), 16 Neons, and 5 otos. I just planted 2 amazon swords, 3 sags, and a HUGE uruguayensis sword...but I'm 95% sure that the plant tanks didnt have any fish in em when I got them.

When I got the 5 neons and 2 otos, maybe a week ago, 1 neon didnt make it. I noticed a white spec on him, but it didnt look like ich. He died the night I noticed it. That was Monday I believe...

I havent seen any other signs of ich lately. The otos tail is growing back nicely, but it still has the white spot on its head. It's A LOT smaller then it was, but its still there.

No Tail now has a 100% tail and the spot on his head is gone. He's healthy and happy hangin out with the rest of em now! The only way I can pick him out is by his grazing. He hasn't stopped grazing since the day I put em in the tank, so I would have to say he's perfectly healthy now!

Back
Top Bottom