Otocinclus and Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am having a MAJOR diatom issue right now, and I need a fish or invert to step up and eat it!

I was thinking otos. Would they be ok with a bolivian ram?

You could get some Otto's, but as Mumma said the diatoms will disappear after the tank has been set up for a while. You can also use a credit card to scrape them off

Reactions: HN1
Do they eat algae? What do they need to survive? I also heard snails often carry parasites and diseases

Do they eat algae? What do they need to survive? I also heard snails often carry parasites and diseases

If you get nerite snails, they will have the algae gone in no time. However if you don't have a planted tank and a constant supply of algae then you will have to supplement with algae wafers and veggies. They do not pose a big risk of parasites or diseases. Like I said, if it isn't a planted tank, then don't get an algae eater unless you are prepared to feed it just like any other tank inhabitant. Just use a credit card and scrape the walls if you don't want a snail.

QuietPlotter said:

Yes they eat algae. They need the same conditions as your fish. You can supplement their diet with algae wafers when theres not enough algae. IMO no more of a risk than introducing new fish to your tank.

IMO less risk than introducing new fish to your tank.

I think you are more than stocked as it is, for a 10 gallon. Diatoms are common in new tanks and usually dissipate on their own. A nerite snail will make short work of the diatoms, but it can be difficult to get them to accept prepared foods. Don't count on being able to sustain them on algae wafers... JMO. :)

IMO less risk than introducing new fish to your tank.

I think you are more than stocked as it is, for a 10 gallon. Diatoms are common in new tanks and usually dissipate on their own. A nerite snail will make short work of the diatoms, but it can be difficult to get them to accept prepared foods. Don't count on being able to sustain them on algae wafers... JMO. :)

I agree, if you don't have a planted tank and thus a constant supply of algae these things can be picky with prepared foods.

I have a big nice leafy anubia, a LOT of hornwort, a crypt, and some bulb.

Would you guys call it planted?

Well of course, any tank that has even a single living plant (other than algae, lol) is "planted" in my book. However you have lightly, moderately, and heavily planted tanks. Lets see some pics!

Ok, here-

Edited to delete URL incase it's against rules,

The newest vid uploaded not even an hour ago is what you're looking for.

Pretty nice set-up; I would call it lightly planted as far as live plants go. What kind of light/bulb do you have?

Thanks! One day when my fish die of old age, I'll take everything out and put black pebbles and driftwood and alot of plants.

But I might get more crypts.

Each bulb is between 15 and 25 watts, I'll check tommorow when they cool off.

What is the kelvin rating? 2x 15W bulbs can grow a many different plants, other than the ones you already have if they are the right color temperature.

Back
Top Bottom