Otocinclus Catfish Acting Weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitti

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Parameters: PH 7.4, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10

Size of tank: 10 Gallons

Filtration:

Fish in tank: Planted tank with 4 Otocinclus Catfish

Last water change: 10% water change on 5/29 before I added the new fish

How often do I WC: As needed or Every two weeks.

How much water do I change: Depends on why the water is being changed. WC 30-50% if it's due to Nitrite being a bit high. WC about 10-20% if it's mainly to vacuum the gravel/clean the tank.

How long have I had the fish: Got the fish on 5/29.

How did I acclimate them: by floating their bag to meet tank water temperature and then slowly adding tank water to their bag until it was equal parts my tank water, and their bag water. All in all, acclimating took about 15 minutes. The fish were in the bag for 20 minutes before I originally opened it. Should go without saying but none of their bag water was added to my tank.

Did you add anything new to the tank: Nope

What do you feed your fish: So far my Otos catfish have only been eating brown algae, there's a lot of it and they keep finding more patches to graze on. I also have sea weed sheet (marine algea) and a raw kale leaf in their tank in a suction clip, just in case they want it. I haven't tried blanched zucchini but I have read that some of them enjoy it, and I will be trying that next. I'm also looking into how to cultivate my own brown algae, so any tips on that would be greatly appreciated.

Issue:
My Otocinclus Catfish seemed to have acclimated to their new tank super well, they all ate right away, and for the most part everything is swell. I'm just a little worried about one of them who is acting funny, and has been since I got him. He latches onto leaves and the side of the tank seemingly fine, but than at times he just lays horizontally on the substrate, with his belly on the glass, not eating or anything. He'll also attach vertically on the glass, but sometimes be so low to the substrate that he bends his tail against the substrate. He doesn't severely bend his tail, but none of the other Otos do that. He'll also have spurts of energy where he'll swim up to the top of the water again and again, as if he's pecking the top of the water. Again, none of my other Otos do that.
He is not skinny, and I do see him eating algae, so i'm not sure if i'm just overly worried, or if it really is subtle signs that something's wrong.

I did not quarantine them because at my LFS they were all in the same tank, and my tank has no other fish.

I will try to add a few pictures of him later, especially of him doing the things I mentioned above.

Please let me know if i'm just being paranoid.

Edit: Here's some photos!

Here's him attached to a leaf
IWzgk7N.jpg

Here's him moments later laying horizontally on the ground against the glass like I mentioned above.

iGmNHR9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom