Otocinclus QT or straight in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotocus

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 75 gallon tank that has been having a bit of an algae issue recently. Nothing out of control, but a bit of a buildup on rocks and plants. I think a school of otos might help but am concerned about how delicate they can be. Normally I quarantine new fish in a ten gallon tank. I keep a spare filter cartridge in the back of my 75 gallon filter to use with this qt when needed.

I've heard the acclimation is crucial for the otos. My qt is set to the same water ph and temperature as my display tank, but obviously the nitrates may be different depending on where in the water change schedule I am. Should I still qt these guys and risk a second move, or put them into the display tank and accept the risk to the other fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When you first get the Ottos you will have to acclimatise them no matter which tank you put them in. So, I normally put my fish in the QT but water change the QT using water from the main tank, which is normally lower in nitrates anyway. After a few water changes the QT water will be nearly matched to the main and swapping them over isn't an issue.
Hope it goes well.

I don't QT otos because of their sensitivity but that's just me.

I was reading other places said you can expect only about a 50% survival rate? Is that correct?

I was reading other places said you can expect only about a 50% survival rate? Is that correct?

Out of the 5 i bought I have had 1 for sure death and 1 other mia snd presumed dead.

If the QT has been set up for a while, has lots of diatoms, and is well cycled the otos should be fine imo

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's what a lot of people agree on. I recently ordered a trio for my Endlers tank and ened up with no losses; first time that's happened to me with otos. Really nice fish though!

It all depends on where you get them. I get mine from 1 store and have never had one die unless I screwed up or there was an equipment failure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've bought all of mine, from Petsmart even, and I've had 2 deaths but it was due to sudden temperature changes as my heater broke during a very cold night. I was surprised everything else survived...

The reason why a lot of people DO QT them is because they are wild caught and may carry parasites. I didn't bother QTing mine and nothing went wrong, but I may have just been lucky.

TL;DR - If you have your tank set up for a nice while you should be fine putting them right in, given you are not worried about any diseases they may have.

I've had 100% survival with Otos (even Pet Smart Otos) this way ...

Buy only the ones that have been in the store over a week.

Drip acclimate them (really, drip ... A length of airline with a knot tied dripping slowly). I do this in their bag that's held up in a pitcher.

Then i dump them in. No netting, I have issues with otos and nets.

I don't QT and do often dump the stores water in my tank. Tsk tsk.

I feed Omega One algae wafers in addition to the tank flora.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Another good practice is always choose the ones that are actively moving and feeding

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the input. I've got a qt set up now that I'm actually growing a bit of algae in - in case I do decide to qt them, but I'm still on the fence. I've bought a lot of fish from this store and never had any issues with disease - never even had an ich outbreak so I'd probably be ok dumping the water in. It just make me nervous. There's a lot of fish in this tank so introducing a disease would be a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom