Otocinclus with narcolepsy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OSUOKC79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, sometimes google doesn't find everything you search for, especially the most bizarre. I got some new oto's about a week or so ago, the moment I put them in the tank I figured one would die. He would swim for a few second then just fall to the bottom of the tank and float in the current, then swim for a few more seconds. I've seen a couple do this before and a day or so later I'm sending them to the porcelain cemetery. It's the strangest thing I've seen, a week later and he's going strong, well for a few seconds lol. He can be sucking on the gravel and just zap, he's motionless and being carried by the current, swimming across the tank at warp speed and bam he's drifting like a piece of wood. Anyone seen this before?? I swear he's got narcolepsy, it's the only thing I can come up with! Not a big deal, it's a little $2 fish (on sale $1), I'm just curious

Yes, it's well established, I set it up in July I think, 55 gallons. It's my 3rd tank, I think I need a support group (aquarists anonymous). I thought he died but it was one of the others. I always have a few otos that don't make it, they are cheap and the local pet store has a bad filter system (the sales lady told me that on the side lol). He's still going almost 2 weeks now, we've nicknamed him Ed, as in special ed. I was afraid my gouramis would pick on him, but they seem to accept him. Not sure how he eats, one or two seconds at a time I guess!

Wow - outside my experience, hope someone knows. Is it in any particular spot, any pattern? I'm just curious.

Wow - outside my experience, hope someone knows. Is it in any particular spot, any pattern? I'm just curious.

Nope, it just wherever he is, almost on a 3-5 second timer, swim for a few seconds, floating like a stick for a few. Like someone was shocking him with electricity or something

Okay so I really wanna see a video of this in action! Could you take one and post it in YouTube and send us the link?

Back
Top Bottom