Outdoor saltwater pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering what all would i need if i built a saltwater pond outside and put fish I caught in the area. I live in southern california. Would it be possible?

There was someone down in the FL keys that did that, but they lived right on the beach and actually had pipes running to the ocean constantly changing over the water. I don't remember where I read that though...

It will be hard to keep things balanced with evaporation. You'll need a seriously huge ATO on a big system like that. As in the return pump will be the size of a regular sump return pump.

Additionally you may have problem with actually balancing the pond itself properly. That's a lot of water and it's going to have to be all tap. Big SW ponds like that are normally kept by people that live next to beaches (easy water change) or teams of aquarists like in a public zoo or retailer or company that can hire maintenance crews. An indoor sw pond may work...idk about outdoor.

I'm also wondering what happens when it....you know..rains.

The Birch Aquarium at Scripps in San Diego has a very nice outdoor tide pool. Of course theirs is fed from inside the aquarium

Wow, cool idea! I never really thought about that! It's worth a shot!

If you live right on the beach it would work, it would be difficult farther from the beach. What if it rains? Thats freshwater in a saltwater pond! It would be a lot of money and work too recreating the natural environment, considering your taking the fish from the ocean.

I dream of having a sea through indoor pool with sharks. :)

-Dylan

If you do get an outdoor sw pond you should put a mangrove right in the center so that it'll get to be full sized! How cool would that be!?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom