Over planting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think I had why too many plants in my tank. It is a 10 gal that I use for babies. I had it up for a year. Bristol Nose Plecos and fancy guppies were the occupants. I had a sword plant in Rockwool and an Anuebious on drift wood in the tank Bare bottoms. I bought a pair of swordtails. The female was pregnant so I put her in the 10 gal. I put a lot of floating plants in the tank to keep the babies safe. A few days ago I trimmed the plants in my other tanks. All were off shoots from sword plants. I have friends who wanted some. My baby tank had a lot of plants in it. The fish looked good yesterday. Today I go to turn on the light. All fish dead. I think it was lack of oxygen at night. I don't think the filter wasn't large enough to over come the plant load. Has anyone had this problem? I took the tank outside to clean it with the hose. I am drying it in the sun. Does it need to be clean another way? :(

I think I had why too many plants in my tank. It is a 10 gal that I use for babies. I had it up for a year. Bristol Nose Plecos and fancy guppies were the occupants. I had a sword plant in Rockwool and an Anuebious on drift wood in the tank Bare bottoms. I bought a pair of swordtails. The female was pregnant so I put her in the 10 gal. I put a lot of floating plants in the tank to keep the babies safe. A few days ago I trimmed the plants in my other tanks. All were off shoots from sword plants. I have friends who wanted some. My baby tank had a lot of plants in it. The fish looked good yesterday. Today I go to turn on the light. All fish dead. I think it was lack of oxygen at night. I don't think the filter wasn't large enough to over come the plant load. Has anyone had this problem? I took the tank outside to clean it with the hose. I am drying it in the sun. Does it need to be clean another way? :(

You can't have over planted tank, plants produce oxygen, thus no problem there. I think more likely water reading spike, ammonia it or nitrates

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can't have over planted tank, plants produce oxygen, thus no problem there. I think more likely water reading spike, ammonia it or nitrates

I think the op means at night when the plants are not producing oxygen but still consuming oxygen.

It's tough to say. So many variables. With the right concoction this is possible.

Very planting.

I read in a magazine iron line about too many plants. I have no other explanation for the complete wipe out of the fish. Maybe with all he plants floating on top. The filter wasn't able to create ripples on the top. Or the oxygen wasn't able to penetrate to the bottom.:ermm:

:eek2: So sorry to hear about this! This happened once with my betta (at $120 betta I might add) when I accidentally put saltwater caribsea in his tank instead of the freshwater version. And I just posted another thread about possibly re-using the sand after it dries out to not waste money.

It was terrible. I felt awful. I am sure you are in the same boat.

Live and learn. I am sure you are very careful with your pets and we all make mistakes. Sorry for your losses.

:eek:

Maybe you overstocked the tank and the nitrogen cycle could not keep up? One 2-3"pleco could max out a 10 gal..
Ps- thing I've noticed around this site lately. No one asks for parameters
Pps- op- parameters??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe you overstocked the tank and the nitrogen cycle could not keep up? One 2-3"pleco could max out a 10 gal..
Ps- thing I've noticed around this site lately. No one asks for parameters
Pps- op- parameters??

OP's only added 1 female swordtail to this tank that has been running for a year we the pleco and guppies. Giving the benefit of the doubt but I agree we should always ask for parameters.

I have done this once I believe. Bought a heap of plants on Friday and put them in a 5gal tank. Plants were for the main tank of 150gal. Got up Saturday to find one or two dead fish.

I've had so many plants in my 10 that I could hardly see through them before they moved to the bigger tank and the baby fish and shrimp were fine for weeks ... I think so long as the surface is moving, it's likely to be ok... But if your filter isn't creating surface movement (due to floaters, etc) that could probably do it.

I ran this by the owner of my lfs. He didn't bat an eyelash.. he's seen it happen numerous times in smaller tanks. I guess if the water is high in calcium it can cause a massive ph swing when the oxygen goes out. Learn something new...

I ran this by the owner of my lfs. He didn't bat an eyelash.. he's seen it happen numerous times in smaller tanks. I guess if the water is high in calcium it can cause a massive ph swing when the oxygen goes out. Learn something new...

I don't understand. Your LFS owner has seen what happen numerous times? I'm not sure what you mean by oxygen going out and ph swings. Sorry ?

Basically backing up what happened to op, added tons of plants to a small tank and woke up to dead fish. Not saying there wasn't another cause. Just thought I'd share.
Ps- I'm sure that's not even close to scientifically satisfying caliban. Too bad :p

Basically backing up what happened to op, added tons of plants to a small tank and woke up to dead fish. Not saying there wasn't another cause. Just thought I'd share.
Ps- I'm sure that's not even close to scientifically satisfying caliban. Too bad :p

Gotcha.

Haha well, I wouldn't expect anything less from you Brookster ?

Gotcha.

Haha well, I wouldn't expect anything less from you Brookster ?

Less is more.... my tanks are awesome..

Help with my "in progress" planted 5-gallon

I have done this once I believe. Bought a heap of plants on Friday and put them in a 5gal tank. Plants were for the main tank of 150gal. Got up Saturday to find one or two dead fish.

Delapool,

I am in the process of aquascaping my Fluval Spec V (5 gallon) right now with plants. The progress is posted and being updated in the "members freshwater tanks" section. 'Inferno's' :oops:

I have learned that some of the planned plants aren't completely submergible after ordering :banghead: but that is besides the point.

How many plants are too many for that size tank at night?

My list consisted of 7 plants (3 of which were 'bunches' of dwarf hair grass). I have the built in filter running full blast!

Is that too much plant for that size tank?

I figured I would ask you because it seems like you also had similar issues with a similar sized planted-tank.
My water parameters are fine (yes I bought a kit) but I know I need to let it cycle.

I am planning to stock a butterfly loach, some amano or japanese algae eating shrimp, a nerite snail and a betta in there...

Should I be worried about turning the lights out or downsizing my plant footprint?

I could always pull out a few tufts of DWG and just hope they carpet.
Since it is a smaller tank I am worried about the 02 at night.

Thanks!

:fish2:

It sounds ok but I don't monitor so much the small tanks here to really know. Sure someone will.

I did grow three nice large water sprite plants in dirt pots and all was fine.

The plant overstocking was I think I dumped in say 5 pots of val (I remember I had to fold the leaves to fit it in) and 5 pots at least of something else. It was pretty crowded and probably a pretty big change.

Delapool,

I am in the process of aquascaping my Fluval Spec V (5 gallon) right now with plants. The progress is posted and being updated in the "members freshwater tanks" section. 'Inferno's' :oops:

I have learned that some of the planned plants aren't completely submergible after ordering :banghead: but that is besides the point.

How many plants are too many for that size tank at night?

My list consisted of 7 plants (3 of which were 'bunches' of dwarf hair grass). I have the built in filter running full blast!

Is that too much plant for that size tank?

I figured I would ask you because it seems like you also had similar issues with a similar sized planted-tank.
My water parameters are fine (yes I bought a kit) but I know I need to let it cycle.

I am planning to stock a butterfly loach, some amano or japanese algae eating shrimp, a nerite snail and a betta in there...

Should I be worried about turning the lights out or downsizing my plant footprint?

I could always pull out a few tufts of DWG and just hope they carpet.
Since it is a smaller tank I am worried about the 02 at night.

Thanks!

You just need to have good water movement and a good surface ripple for the night time to allow co2 out and oxygen in to the water.

More likely to have oxygen problems with little moving water with obstructed gas exchange on a warm thundery night and lots of plants.

I'm guessing that, since Delapool lives in Australia this created the perfect storm so to speak.

Appreciated.

I will keep posting. I have 1 butterfly loach to add to the tank that has been cycling for a few days now.

I hope things go well.

Posting final pics today.

IF plants start to deteriorate...or if I have "semi-aquatic" plants in there will that impact 02 levels?

:thanks:

You just need to have good water movement and a good surface ripple for the night time to allow co2 out and oxygen in to the water.

More likely to have oxygen problems with little moving water with obstructed gas exchange on a warm thundery night and lots of plants.

I'm guessing that, since Delapool lives in Australia this created the perfect storm so to speak.

There was one I remember - I had put so many pots in that the water level lifted and I wasn't getting much water fall out of the hob. As well the water moment was much reduced due to all the plant leaves. Now I put bought plants in a separate bucket over night.

Back
Top Bottom