Overflow Decor Has Hole In The Bottom - Can It Be Saved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rx330

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to insert this beautiful yet fake center piece into the tank to stand in front of the overflow box in the middle of my corner tank, and the decor keeps floating to the top. I believe that the cavern hole that is clearly visible fills the piece up with water, and the weight of the piece filled keeps it down.

frontrock.jpg

I noticed that when I turned the decor over, there is a sizeable hole in the bottom, which I believe is why the piece cannot stay at the bottom.

bottomrock.jpg

Can the piece be salvaged, glued, or do I need to chuck it ?

If yes, what specifically would I buy. Thanks for the help guys !!!!

Can you put it under the water and turn it upside down. That should fill in that area with water and weight it down.

If I turn the decor upside down and fill it up, the cavern hole keeps the water from staying in. Thats why I believe the bottom was supposed to be sealed, vs, having that area open. A sealed bottom makes it easy, and keeps water weighted down.

Let say I put my finger in that cavern hole to fill it up fully while turned upside down, when I do the turn back over, as it cant remain upside down, the water can still pass through the cavern hole, and there is nothing keeping the water contained within the decor cavity, so it should shoot straight up to the top and float immediately.

Doesnt the bottom need to be sealed somehow, perhaps with a thin plastic or acrylic insert, then perhaps glued around the edges with aquarium safe gel ?

If Im wrong, please tell me.

When you turn it over, it should be completely submerged, turn it and shake it a bit to get all the air trapped inside out of it. If I'm right, the top and bottom being open has nothing to do with it, it's just trapped air pockets on the inside. Once the airpockets are gone it should stay submerged due to water weighing it down. You would want water able to move through it otherwise you would get trapped debris and stale, unmoving water in there.

once its filled and placed down the water wont come out the top hole unless you get air in the bottem pushing it out. so - fill upside down to remove air - place where desired without allowing air in (ie dont lift it above water) - bingo.

of course it is 5 am here so i may be talking bollocks.

To all those that offered me advice. The picture below does a good job representing the outcome.

sidereef.jpg

Jackpot !!!! Thanks a million everyone. We are on our way

That's really pretty can I ask are you just gonna add fish and no live rock? I'm just curious cause everyone I know who has a SW set up has live rock and personally I don't care for the rocks and the corals much but the fish are nice.

For now, I am just going to focus on fish while leaving the other elements artificial. To me, the beauty was always in the fish, although I respect the beauty of live rock/coral. It's another element that requires attention & more money, and for someone like me getting back into this hobby 23 years later, as I had my first saltwater tank in '87 when I was 12, it's a step that's manageable for me time & money wise.

Thanks for all the feedback & compliment

Back
Top Bottom