Overflow stand pipe system for sw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chasnkevin4ever

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking on craigslist and came across a sw tank that said it has been drilled for silent overflow stand pipe system, can anyone tell me what that means?

The tank will have at least one hole drilled in the bottom that should be outfitted with a bulkhead fitting. Typically this will be behind kind of a dam which water flows over. In the hole will be a pipe that water actually flows into to keep it from making an incredibly loud gurgling sound. Below the tank would be plumbed to a sump.

Most of the time there's a second hole which would be for the return. It would have (again generally) a smaller diameter pipe that goes up and over the dam.

This genes rally makes for a clean looking installation which could be right against the wall or in the wall.

Can I use this tank for brackish or freshwater? Would I have to set the tank up using the overflow thing or could I set it up like a normal tank?

You would probably need to just get bulkheads (if they're not already in there) and plug them with PVC caps if you won't be using a sump.

Back
Top Bottom