Overhauled 38-gallon Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarylF2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Over the past month or so, I've COMPLETELY overhauled my 38-gallon tank. I replaced the lights, removed the undergravel filter, replaced the gravel with Eco-Complete, added a ton of new driftwood, and (just yesterday) added a number of new plants!

(Overhauled tank; click to see the large version)

(Right side (Java Fern featured); click to see the large version)

(Left side (Bamboo Shrimp posing); click to see the large version)

It was a SMASHING success! My Nitrates went DOWN this week, for the first time ever. I may need to start dosing Nitrogen...

I reduced my hours of lighting to 8 hours on/per day, and along with Flourish Excel, this has cut my algae growth WAY down. I may need to increase lighting a bit, though, as I want a little algae growth for my Otos.

I'm very pleased with the Eco-Complete. The plants seem to love it and it is really attractive.

Beautiful!!! I have to stop looking in this forum, I might convert to a "freshie"........

how did your transition from regular gravel to eco complete go? and what was the easiest way you did it

The transition went pretty smoothly, but was labor intensive. I emptied the entire tank, putting the fish and plants into "holding tanks". I then removed the old gravel and UGF, added the rocks, Eco-Complete, and driftwood. After this, I re-planted the plants and added the fish back in. It took most of a Saturday, but I didn't lose a single fish (not even Otocinclus).

I'm having some minor algae issues, but am learning to deal with them by dosing Seachem Flourish and Flourish Excel. I may start adding Flourish Trace and possibly Flourish Iron, if my plant growth and water tests indicate they are needed.

Plant growth is good, and my fish are VERY happy. My Corydoras spawnings are even more frequent now!

do you think it can be done without emptying the tank? i have no hold tanks, except a 20g L terrarium, and i dont think its made to hold water.

Probably, if you do one side at a time or something like that. I needed to empty my tank to remove the under-gravel filter.

Back
Top Bottom