Overheated fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frshwaterfinatc

Aquarium Advice Freak
With this hot weather in Oklahoma my fish tank has been waaay to warm!
Our airconditioning unit in our 2 bedrm 1930s apt does not do the job. After lunch I came home and found all my fish stressed, losing color, on the bottom of the tank. The temp was 84 degrees Farenheit! I didn't know what to do at first, but a quick 10% water removal and 3 trays of ice lowered the temperature back down to 78-80 in about 30 minutes. I added some aquarium salt, too- and the my fish were just fine. Tonight- the same thing happened! So I knew just what to do. I think the main problem was the sunlight coming in the living room blind slats all day. The bank sign said it was 101 outside, and it was HUMID. The heat index had to be around 110.
The crazy thing is that not 5 days ago it was cool, 70 degrees, and I even wore a light jacket in the morning.

I’m sorry but do you have 13+ fish in your 10 gallon tank? Your problem might not be the heat but lack of dissolved oxygen in the water. 84 degrees is not that hot. I raise my tank temp to 87-88 when treating for ICH. 90+ degrees will begin to stress out your fish and make them susceptible to illness.

Also rapid temp changes can also cause stress. In nature water doesn’t change temp that rapidly. A good rule of thumb is 1 degree per hour.

84 is not that hot at all..

My tanks can reach as high as 92 if the airs not working propperly, something I hope to rectify soon.

You may need to increase the surface agitation, less oxygen is dissolved when the water is warmer. Also try directing a fan to blow across the top of the tank.

I keep my aquarium at around 84 all the time. Sounds like you need an air pump and/or to divide your current 10 gallon with the one you are setting up

docrak said:
I’m sorry but do you have 13+ fish in your 10 gallon tank? Your problem might not be the heat but lack of dissolved oxygen in the water. 84 degrees is not that hot.

I totally agree that the problem is not the temperature, but the amount of oxygen dissolved in the water. As the water gets warmer, there is more water molecules moving around and "shooting" the oxygen out. Plus, it seems you are overstocked, that is too many fish competing for air may have made all of them kinda sick.

Putting ice in your tank it kind of an extreme, I would only do that if the water was above 90F.

Maybe you should throw in an air stone to help your fish breathe.
To prevent that temperature raise, you may want to leave a fan blowing on the tank all day. The air movement will be able to "steal" some of the heat. It won't do miracles, but it is better than nothing.

Okay, thanks... I did take the two large gouramis out, and the eel... I'll see if I can get an airstone from my betta tank hooked up in it since the betta doesn't need it- but I have to wait until 11:00 pm. I'm not at the apt right now and this street's blocked off for repavement!

In addition to the oxygen issues: have you tested ammonia and nitrite levels? The symptoms you describe sound like those could also be the culprit.

No, I haven't- I know I need to, but I don't have a kit (I am BROKE) and I can't even leave my house, so I couldn't get one if I did have money. The street's being repaved, and we're on a dead end. So I'm completely blocked in. LONG story.
Could there possibly be household items I could add to help alleviate the problems assuming nitrite and ammonia levels are high?

Household items? None that i can think of...

I would just do a water change, about 20%. That way if the problem is NO3- or NO2- or NH3 it should make your fish feel better...

My neighbor, whos tank has no heater and gets to temperatures in the 60's at times, told me my temp was too hot at 80 degrees. I thought the temp was supposed to stay between 70 and 80 degrees?

I agree with Menagerie: I'd do a 20% daily water change. This will help remove high ammonia and/or nitrite build-up. I'm not saying this is what's wrong with your fish, but with the tank size and fish load you've got, it is highly possible.

Temperature really does depend on species. I keep my Africans at 79F and the dwarfs at 82F. Unless your neighbor keeps golds, white clouds, or natives- I'd be more concerned with tank temps in the 60's, rather than a temperature in the low 80's. Chilling can lead to lots of problems, as can heavy fluctuations in temps, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom