Overnight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spencer1044

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I'm like freaking out here because I went to bed and my kuhli loaches are swimming happily around the tank they ate that day so I know they were not underfed. I wake up the next morning one is lay dead in the front of the tank and it looks like as if its face was eaten off. The second one is laying in the corner dead still had a little color but it was dead. And now the third one is not to be seen I looked under all of the logs and in the plants but couldn't find it. The only place it could be is in the larger log on the left. I'm so confused about this right what happened! Water parameters ph: 7.0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0

My tank:
imagejpg1_zpsdb35f594.jpg Photo by spl1999spencer1044 | Photobucket
imagejpg1_zps5b21a961.jpg Photo by spl1999spencer1044 | Photobucket

The fish:
imagejpg1_zps99e05ad9.jpg Photo by spl1999spencer1044 | Photobucket
imagejpg2_zps20b4f542.jpg Photo by spl1999spencer1044 | Photobucket

I have 2 paradise gouramis, 3 long fin serpe tetra, 5 neon tetra, 4 mollies, and what use to be 3 kuhli loaches with the one still missing. 29 Gallon setup has been running for 4 years

I guess it's possible but they never attack any of the other fish or each other the most they have ever done to another fish is just stare at them intensely until they go away

My kuhli loaches are sensitively to excel...
Sorry for your losses...sucks to lose fish :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ya I know it might have been a water clarifier that I added recently to clear the yellow in the tank from the driftwood. It's called jungle clear water

It could be those paradise fish. Usually when something like this happens overnight, it means they were attacked while sleeping, which is when predatory fish like to hunt since in daylight, most fish can outswim them or avoid them. I would guess its the fish who ate them, especially since all 3 are dead in 1 night and the way the one was ripped up.

In the off chance it was the water clarifier, it would have had adverse effects on the other fish as well. As a rule though, less chemicals the better. If you want clearer water, I would do a water change or get one of those water buffing filter inserts, but dont add any unneeded chemicals because you never know how your tank will react.

Back
Top Bottom