Overstocked?? Yes, ANOTHER overstocked post.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think your tank is overstocked at all. Mollies and platies both have huge bioloads, but as long as you are keeping up with water changes at 30%+ per week you'll be fine on that.

As for your brothers tank, I think he's a wee bit over stocked. I would remove the snails and add 1 more Cory since they are schooling fish and snails are poop machines
But IMO, I think it'd probably be best if he removes the snails and then decides on whether he wants to keep the cories or the guppies, then add a few more to whichever species he decides to keep

Ok! I did my first water change yesterday because that was a week from when I got the tanks set up!

I feel that just because you get a bigger filter doesn't mean you can stuff a bunch of fish in a tank. A lot of us over filter our lightly stocked tanks. Of course in any situation, the more filtration, the better. I keep Peppered Cory's in a 29g and couldn't really imagine them in anything smaller than a 20g footprint. My females are huge & they are all over the tank. They need the swimming space. Also, I don't think they should be kept in groups of less than 4. Ultimately, if you could upgrade to a 20g in the future, or even now since you are just beginning a cycle, you would be much happier as your stocking options change :) Just my 2 cents... Good luck!

P.s. @ Mumma - gotcha that time, lol ;D

I feel that just because you get a bigger filter doesn't mean you can stuff a bunch of fish in a tank. A lot of us over filter our lightly stocked tanks. Of course in any situation, the more filtration, the better. I keep Peppered Cory's in a 29g and couldn't really imagine them in anything smaller than a 20g footprint. My females are huge & they are all over the tank. They need the swimming space. Also, I don't think they should be kept in groups of less than 4. Ultimately, if you could upgrade to a 20g in the future, or even now since you are just beginning a cycle, you would be much happier as your stocking options change :) Just my 2 cents... Good luck!

Oh well cool! I'm about to start life guarding again for the summer and ill probably do that once I get the money!

20 or 30? I hear the bigger they are the easier they are (for the most part) easier to take care of? I was also looking at a 40 or 50 within the next year?

Go with the biggest you can. But fishless cycle it this time.

Have you been reading about fish-in cycling?

Ok, first off, I don't personally believe any peppered cories belong in a 10g tank. I certainly do not suggest adding another. They actually get pretty decently sized when they are adults. Females reach 3 inches and are kind of chubby. The males tend to stay smaller. They are not hugely fast growers, so you are probably ok right now. Also, cories are not tight schoolers, so they are not a fish that is going to stress out because you have 2 instead of 3. Personally, I have not seen much activity from a lone cory, but 2 or more does better. Ideally, it would be good to add another, but you are seriously pushing the bioload of a small tank as it is, and I do not suggest adding more to that.
Mollies get bugger than people realize. They do not stay as 2 inch fish. They do better in a larger tank. I suggest 20g or bigger for them. Platies stay smaller, and they do fine in 10g tanks.
Do you happen to know about cycling a tank? Here is a link in case you do not.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html
Some people cycle a tank without fish, but you already have fish. No worries though, everything can still be done, and we can help you get a nice stock going. Keep in mind, a 10g tank is pretty small. You will not be able to cram a bunch of fish in there. All the fish you see at pet stores are usually babies. They will grow. There are some amazing nano fish out there that really thrive in 10g tanks, but they are not as commonly available. Are you able to re-home fish if necessary? If you are, we can talk stock. If you can't my best suggestion is to keep your water as clean as possible and do your best with what you have. I hope you can get a bigger tank over the summer for the mollies though.
I realize some of this has been said, I am just shoving it all into one post for the ease of reading.

Last edited:

Your absolute right, they do get big. I have a full grown peppered Cory and she is HUGE. I bought her full grown from the pet store because she was in a little 10g and I felt sorry for her, so she came home with me and has a new home in a 55g :)

Ok, first off, I don't personally believe any peppered cories belong in a 10g tank. I certainly do not suggest adding another. They actually get pretty decently sized when they are adults. Females reach 3 inches and are kind of chubby. The males tend to stay smaller. They are not hugely fast growers, so you are probably ok right now. Also, cories are not tight schoolers, so they are not a fish that is going to stress out because you have 2 instead of 3. Personally, I have not seen much activity from a lone cory, but 2 or more does better. Ideally, it would be good to add another, but you are seriously pushing the bioload of a small tank as it is, and I do not suggest adding more to that.
Mollies get bugger than people realize. They do not stay as 2 inch fish. They do better in a larger tank. I suggest 20g or bigger for them. Platies stay smaller, and they do fine in 10g tanks.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html
Some people cycle a tank without fish, but you already have fish. No worries though, everything can still be done, and we can help you get a nice stock going. Keep in mind, a 10g tank is pretty small. You will not be able to cram a bunch of fish in there. All the fish you see at pet stores are usually babies. They will grow. There are some amazing nano fish out there that really thrive in 10g tanks, but they are not as commonly available. Are you able to re-home fish if necessary? If you are, we can talk stock. If you can't my best suggestion is to keep your water as clean as possible and do your best with what you have. I hope you can get a bigger tank over the summer for the mollies though.
I realize some of this has been said, I am just shoving it all into one post for the ease of reading.

Just to make sure you know this whn they say a 20g tank that doesnt mean the 20g tall as they are basically a 10g .. it is alittle bigger then a 10g but the 20g long is always the better choice

Thank you! And as of right now, I don't have another place to re- home fish. But as you already know I am looking for a bigger tank in the summer!

Just to make sure you know this whn they say a 20g tank that doesnt mean the 20g tall as they are basically a 10g .. it is alittle bigger then a 10g but the 20g long is always the better choice

Yeah, I don't like the way the tall 20 gallon tanks look, I like the longer ones better!

I agree with kjacks! A 40 gallon breeder(36x18x16") has MUCH more stocking capability than a 55g standard(48x12x20"). A 30g breeder has much more than a 36g tall. It's all about surface area which is lengthxwidth. Height has little to do with surface area. Also, if you choose to go with a planted tank, a shallow tank is much easier to light properly.
Good Luck, OS.

Back
Top Bottom