Overwhelmed in New York

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earthfolk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am probably your worst nightmare, but I will give this a try. My name is Bek and I "inherited" a twenty gallon salt water aquarium and I have NO IDEA what to do now! By "inherited" I mean, it was going to thrown away if no one took it, so I stepped up. I work at and with a local SPCA, and I handle a lot of cruelty cases...to make a long story short there was a hoarding situation...mammals were taken and cared for, but the tank was going to be thrown out. Having several fresh water tanks in my home, I thought...I can handle this...why kill a wonderful ecosystem....UGH... there is just so much info....and I know no one with a salt water tank.
Let's see, 20 gallon tank with 6 smallish live rocks...yes there are greens, blues and reds all over the rock so I am assuming they are live...also a tube worm, super small came out a day an a half ago, but no "action" since then. There is one domino damsel...feeding Omega One tropical saltwater flakes around 3 times a day for about 2minutes....there are two "air stones"...the water is the same that was in the tank before moving...it is very clear...lots of salt.... I guess I am just looking for some simple instruction on what I should be doing to sustain this tank.

welcome to AA,im pretty sure damsels get to big for a 20,but im not sure(100% freshwater here)

Welcome to AA! I don't know much about saltwater, I'm all freshwater advice here. Maybe a mod could move this to the saltwater disscussion for you and you'd get more help there :)

Welcome Aboard!

I agree that getting all your info together and starting a thread in the SW getting started section with as much detail about your setup would be your be course of action.

Don't feel bad I just recently like 2 days ago, have begun to turn my 55 gal into a salt water tank.. I am praying I haven't made a bad decision. I am having major issues with my water being so cloudy as it is trying to settle itself and start a good cycle before I EVER add any fish. the mixing of the salt and water u have to add ever so often is pretty simply explainable so there shouldn't be a problem there for you :)

Back
Top Bottom