Pacu wont eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michael61182

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a pacu, about a yr old and about 8 inches in length. I havent seen her eat in a few days now. I usually give her veggie rounds and sometimes algea wafers. I ran out of the veggie rounds and was just feeding the algea wafers, but she hasnt wont eat them now. I went out and bought the food I know she likes and still wont eat them. I tested my water.
My ph about 7.8, ammonia close to 0, nitrite is about 0, and nitrate 80.
The fish is in a 125 gallon, with 1 bala shark, 1 silver dollar and 1 red tailed black shark. Seems like most the time she's just swimming back and forth.
I've tried feeding different vegetables as well but hasnt ever really like any vegetables that i've given. I've tried lettuce, squash, carrots, apples and corn.

That is REALLY high nitrate, is that normal? I believe Nitrate should be under 5-10 pmm. I'd do a large water change right away, my tank is never that high in nitrate.

I got out of the ha bit of regularly testing the water, I do do the weekly water changes though. From what I read, it is high though. I did a partial water change before work, I will test again when I get home and another water change if needed.

Nitrate was at about 50 when, I got home. My pacu was watching my as soon as I walked in the door, so I fed him and he ate. Hopefully that water change took away some stress and he ate again, but she had not eaten for at least 3 days. I will continue with the water changes and water testing till I get to good levels again.

Great!!

I had the same problem, no eating. Water changes seem to always help!

I just didnt think I needed a water change, since I had just done it, when she stopped eating. Thanks. I'm still working on lowering my nitrates. I dont have many plants anymore. I liked the stuff that floats but it kept getting sucked through my filter.

I know

I had hornwort and the dam thing sheds a lot. I suggest Anacharis. You can never do enough water changes. I have done 50 percent water changes for the last 2 weeks on my 10 gallon. It today finally is showing good numbers to stop.

Back
Top Bottom