Paint fumes?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up a tube syle tank stand that badly needed repainting with a *Rustoleum* product & it wasn't until I was mid paint that it occurred to me that because I am having to paint indoors by my tanks (-20 is NOT conducive to outdoor painting) that the fumes could possibly affect my tanks(doing it with a brush not aerosol). The smell is not horrible,but I am reasonably close to them (6-8') Because it also by my wood stove there are 2 fans going to heat the house - 1 at floor level right by the stand I am painting and 1 by the ceiling over by the tanks to send the air up to the main floor. Am I being paranoid or do I need to take some preventative/restorative measures??

We're in the process of having our dining room and kitchen remodeled, and though we keep the door to the cave closed, fumes and dust inadvertently make their way into the cave. So far, there have been no adverse affects to fish, birds, or herps. Admittedly, the amount of fumes are probably negligible.
Is it possible to turn a fan on to your stand while you're painting to blow the fumes away? Spray paint has strong fumes, and I wouldn't want to chance any micro droplets falling into your water. Could you use a brush-on paint instead of spray, in conjunction with the fan, to avoid any risk?
-20? Wow! Where are you living? I thought the single and low double digits we had here in the Midwest for a couple weeks were bad. Guess I shouldn't have complained.

Fins - I AM using a brush on to avoid airborne crud & fumes but there was still enough smell that I am a little paranoid. I am in Northern Ontario so that temp is in Celius which is -7.6F but if you include windchill on some of our colder days which takes it to -30C that IS -22F which has happened much too often this year for me?

I'm with Angel, put a blanket over the tank if the situation bothers you. Since you are brushing on the paint, probably no worries.

Since I was already mid project I turned the fans on high & everything *seems* like it is ok but I'm keeping a close watch for the next day or so.

Back
Top Bottom