Panathinaikos55'S First Dive Into SW...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

panathinaikos55

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone!

I decided (awhile ago) to try my hand at SW. I’ve had plenty of FW tanks through the years, and currently have a few up and running.

My SW adventure actually began on Black Friday (Day after Thanksgiving) a few months ago. My LFS had a decent deal on a new tank, and while I was there for something else entirely, I decided to pick it up.

After I brought it home I decided on giving SW a try and started doing A LOT of research. After a few month’s worth of decisions and purchases, here is what I have amassed for equipment thus far (everything was purchased new):

Tank - 75g Marineland Perfecto - $99
Lighting - Dimmable LED 120W Reef Blue/White 55X3 (X2) - $215
Heater - Aqueon 06104 300 Watt - $23
Powerheads - Hydor Koralia Evolution 1150 gph (X2) - $68
Substrate - Carib Sea Aragonite Suger Sized Sand (90 lbs) - $90
Rock - ReefCleaners.org Dry Florida Reef Rock (110 lbs) - $176
Salt - Instant Ocean Rc1-200 Reef Crystals (200 Gallon Box) - $45
HOB Skimmer - Reef Octopus BH-2000 - $200
Hydrometer - Salinity Dual Scale Refractometer (Agriculture Solutions) - $25
TDS Meter - HM Digital Handheld TDS-3 - $25
RO/DI Unit - Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) 5 Stage 75GPD - $160
Mixing Tubs - Brute 20 Gallon Gray (X3) - $60
DIY Stand & Canopy Matl's - $50
MISC Stuff - $150

I decided against a sump, and plan on starting as FOWLR until I get my feet wet. That said, I eventually would like to add coral.

After setting it all up and filling with water, I dosed ammonia and began my cycle on 1/26. Everything is coming along nicely thus far, and hoping it completes in the nest week or so.

Thanks for all the help so far, the forum has been great!

I attached a picture of the complete set up for now.

A few questions that I have early on:

1. The picture was taken with the LED whites and blues both set at 50%... not sure where they need to be (I have them off during the cycle). I'm guessing since it's only FOWLR it'll just be personal preference, but just want to be sure. They sit about 14" above the water.

2. I'm terrible at aquascaping... please help! Hard to tell from the pic (it looks flat), but the rocks actually are in the shape of a "C" with the ends of each side coming within an inch of the front glass.

3. Not sure about powerhead placement. I've read to have them pointed toward each other and slightly pointing up. As you can see from the pic, I also have one near the front glass and one near the rear. I was thinking of picking up a couple more (smaller) to put on rear glass for more flow, not sure if it's needed though.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• 75G SW.jpg
    75G SW.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom