panchax with little worm like thing on its side fin.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan_Forbz

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just noticed that one of my golden panchax's has a clear worm like thing on its side fin. i havent seen this before and was just curious as to whether anyone else has had this before. the thing is only about 8 mm long and fully see through.

any ideas???

i looked it up and found it was an anchor worm. (though no new fish or plants have been introduced to cause it. it could have come in the water last night when i did a water change.

i prepared a salt bath using the aquarium water in a small container, kept him in the net and dipped him in, he reacted straight away by losing his equilibrium so i removed him immediately and placed him in the normal tank. and kept him upright. his now in a breeder trap swimming alright and no signs of the worm. it looks like the swordtails decided to try and remove the parasite as well and attacked his side fin. his still using it so thats a plus :)

ill let him out of the container in about an hour, :)

thanks but that's not it, it was clear and was off his side fin. to help keep his equilibrium. it is now gone, due to a salt bath. and his slowly recovering still in the breeder trap with some stress coat to help him regrow his damaged fins from the other fish attacking him.

thanks anyway

It was probably just an anchor worm. My koi get them all the time. Camallanus is an internal parasite, please fully read the TS' description before prescribing treatment.

It was probably just an anchor worm. My koi get them all the time. Camallanus is an internal parasite, please fully read the TS' description before prescribing treatment.

+1

Camallanus is way more nasty to deal with. Lost all but 1 in a tank of 4 bettas to it. Finally figured out what it was, started treatment and that 1 survived for a whole year (until a month ago when that whole tank crashed again for some unknown reason *sigh*) Was happy I found something that worked to get rid of it.

aww thats a shame. im thinking of setting up a 5 g with a male betta and 3 females.

as for little goldie the panchax, his slowly recovering, the other fish were giving him a hard time over it. especially my male swordtail who seems to be giving all my fish a hard time... hmmmm what to do with him. maybe he should play with grumpy the maingano for a little. jokes. lol

goldie had his side fins bitten so his finding it hard to keep his equilibrium still. getting better though. some stress coat is helping him heal faster

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom