Parameter problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10-gal planted tank with one flame dwarf gourami, three corydora catfish, one gold inca snail, and two nerite snails. It's still cycling, both as a result if my own stupidity and the fact that I was never educated on the cycling process. I was told with the last tank I owned that my tank would be fully cycled in three days with three glowfish in it. Here's my problem. If I go one day without changing any water in this tank, my ammonia is up to at least 2 ppm, it's been up to 8 ppm. What is going on? Why can't I get control of my ammonia levels?

BettaGal said:
I have a 10-gal planted tank with one flame dwarf gourami, three corydora catfish, one gold inca snail, and two nerite snails. It's still cycling, both as a result if my own stupidity and the fact that I was never educated on the cycling process. I was told with the last tank I owned that my tank would be fully cycled in three days with three glowfish in it. Here's my problem. If I go one day without changing any water in this tank, my ammonia is up to at least 2 ppm, it's been up to 8 ppm. What is going on? Why can't I get control of my ammonia levels?

It's because there are so many fish in a small space the toxins build up much quicker. I know a 10g may not seem all that small, but it is. And just for a future reference, cories don't belong in anything smaller than a 20g. I know we've all made the mistake before, just so you know :)

It's because there are so many fish in a small space the toxins build up much quicker. I know a 10g may not seem all that small, but it is. And just for a future reference, cories don't belong in anything smaller than a 20g. I know we've all made the mistake before, just so you know :)

Is there a way to lower them easier than daily massive water changes? And I was told on this forum that three Cory cats in a 10 was fine. It's so frustrating and confusing when everyone tells you something different. I'm sure I'm not the only one with no idea what's the real thing to go by. I'm sure everyone has dealt with this problem.

Well, I found the ammonia problem. My fish had cleverly stashed some if their poop in places I couldn't see it. They had it in a cave where they like to carry sand into for some reason and had it under the edges of the cuttlebone I have for my snails. So later on I get to vacuum that mess. Is there anything I can get that will help control the ammonia spikes I keep getting? Daily 50+% water changes are a little tedious and somewhat on the annoying side.

as a temp solution to help ease up the process for your fish you can add an ammonia remover media to your filter. AquaClear size 20 insert should work for your tank size. Also, make sure you are not overfeeding the fish.

I went to feeding them once a day with two algae wafers every few days for the snails. I have to somewhat limit them since my inca latches on and hogs them like his crack. I have proof of this too for everyone's enjoyment.

Attachments

• image-3568785854.jpg
    image-3568785854.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 45
BettaGal said:
Is there a way to lower them easier than daily massive water changes? And I was told on this forum that three Cory cats in a 10 was fine. It's so frustrating and confusing when everyone tells you something different. I'm sure I'm not the only one with no idea what's the real thing to go by. I'm sure everyone has dealt with this problem.

That's really where you have to judge for yourself, everyone will have varying opinions. It's all in how much work your willing to put into it. There are some cases that you can have more than recommended stock and be slightly overstocked, but it's all in if you have the knowledge and time to devote to keeping the tank I'm good health, most importantly doing enough water changes to keep water params in check.

That's really where you have to judge for yourself, everyone will have varying opinions. It's all in how much work your willing to put into it. There are some cases that you can have more than recommended stock and be slightly overstocked, but it's all in if you have the knowledge and time to devote to keeping the tank I'm good health, most importantly doing enough water changes to keep water params in check.

I'm trying to keep them all in check. They just are refusing my efforts. Someone said an ammonia removing filter media. I'll have to look soon. It's just one of those irritating parts of fish keeping. Everyone telling you something different. Not saying they're wrong. Just consistent information would be extremely helpful on some aspects.

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia?

What dechlorinator are you using? Most will only detoxify ammonia up to a certain point (Prime for example detoxifies up to 1 ppm I think). The more fish you have in a smaller tank the faster the toxins will build up. If your tap water has little to no ammonia in it, the only thing you can really do is keep up with 50% water changes (you may need to do more than one per day if toxins are rising that high). Feed sparingly; once every other day is enough and be sure no leftover food is in the tank to decay and contribute to the ammonia, so frequent vacs are recommeded to. That's about it unless you want to return some fish until the tank cycles or get a larger tank. I wouldn't trust ammonia removers or any other chemical in the tank. What kind of cory do you have? Some are larger than others which will contribute more waste (ammonia).

I tested the tap water and there is no ammonia in it. I got the Aquaclear ammonia removing filter media, and it has lowered my ammonia greatly. It's down to .5 ppm, and it hasn't been that low in over a week of me trying to get it down. I got it down to 1 ppm and couldn't get it any lower. I have albino Cory cats. One is significantly smaller than the other two because he came from a different store after my insane one died.

I tested the tap water and there is no ammonia in it. I got the Aquaclear ammonia removing filter media, and it has lowered my ammonia greatly. It's down to .5 ppm, and it hasn't been that low in over a week of me trying to get it down. I got it down to 1 ppm and couldn't get it any lower. I have albino Cory cats. One is significantly smaller than the other two because he came from a different store after my insane one died.

You are on the right truck. Keep ammonia remover in until the tank is cycled, it will not slow the cycling. Still do partial water changes often. It will take 1-2 months for tank to cycle you will see it when Nitrates start to show up and ammonia and nitrites will be at zero.

Do you have sand/gravel in the tank and bacterial media (ceramic rings etc) in the filter?

I have sand at the bottom. Black aquarium sand for my albino Cory cats. I have never heard of bacterial ceramic rings. You're seriously talking to someone that had gone probably 9 months with tanks before the fish store people mentioned the cycle and told me it would be done in 3 days with fish in. I have a Tetra Whisper 10 gal filter with biofilter cartridges and a bioscrubber. It was the cheapest one at the store. I have a color-changing LED airstone near that.

I have sand at the bottom. Black aquarium sand for my albino Cory cats. I have never heard of bacterial ceramic rings. You're seriously talking to someone that had gone probably 9 months with tanks before the fish store people mentioned the cycle and told me it would be done in 3 days with fish in. I have a Tetra Whisper 10 gal filter with biofilter cartridges and a bioscrubber. It was the cheapest one at the store. I have a color-changing LED airstone near that.

Tetra Whisper type filters can't support sufficient bacterial colony, but your tank send will serve as place for nitrifiing bacteria to live. So your tank should be Ok, once cycled.

So I have a filter that doesn't do what it's supposed to. Lovely.

Well it moves water and does some mechanical and chemical filtration, but in order to support bacteria filter needs to have media with large surface capacity which your filter does not provide. Still, you should be OK once the tank is cycled.
I used to have similar setup as yours and it worked.

Your corries are juveniles, right? In 10 gal tank they will stay on smaller size, so you should be ok in terms of capacity

I just wanted to offer a little support regarding stocking. I have a 15 gallon. It in are 3 cories, 3 guppies, a dwarf gourami a swordtail and a snail. My water parameters stay fine, nitrates do climb by the end of the week, but between live plants and water changes it seems to be holding its own just fine. It does sound like filtration might be an issue, as well as you just need to be patient while it cycles. A bottle of bacteria might help speed it up, it did mine....

I just wanted to offer a little support regarding stocking. I have a 15 gallon. It in are 3 cories, 3 guppies, a dwarf gourami a swordtail and a snail. My water parameters stay fine, nitrates do climb by the end of the week, but between live plants and water changes it seems to be holding its own just fine. It does sound like filtration might be an issue, as well as you just need to be patient while it cycles. A bottle of bacteria might help speed it up, it did mine....

A bottle of bacteria? What brand and kind and any other assistance I can kindly pry? I'm up for anything if it means I don't have to do a 50+% water change EVERY DAY. I just had to do two 50s back to back and then found their clever stash of crap. So now have to do ANOTHER one.

To be honest I do not remember the brand. Members here will hopefully give you some suggestions. Some say it works, some say it doesn't, but all agree it won't harm...I will hop online and see if I can jog my memory as to what I used.

Back
Top Bottom