pc fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacheco

Aquarium Advice Regular
anybody know how to set up pc fans in a canopy. the fans I looked at all say 12vdc and are wired for a pc.or where I can get one to plug into 110v outlet.

I have not done it yet, but I think that all you have to do is cut of the end of a 12 vdc power converter and wire it directly to the fan. They sell them at Radio Shack. I think that they are about $15.00 or so. This is what I did when I made a cold cathode (pc lights) moonlight before.

You can get a AC/DC converter online for a few bucks. Partsexpress sells them. I use 2 80mm Panaflo L1's(outflow) and a 120mm Parts Express special(blow in) in my canopy. The 120mm is on 1 converter and and the Panaflos are on another. The nice thing about the variable converters is that you can undervolt them. I run the Panaflows on 6 or 9 volts and they are virtually silent. It will depend on how much of a heat issue you have though.

If you have any old cell chargers or old cordless phones plugs, these will normally work too. I am using a cordless phone plug for one of mine. It was a 9v converter.

Back
Top Bottom