Pea stuck in goldy throat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly123

Aquarium Advice Regular
My bubble eye goldy has half a pea stuck in his throat. It’s too far down for me to pull it out. I spent about 10 mins of time yesterday sticking tweezers down and trying to pull it out. I couldn’t get it out. My fish is now in shock from the stress of me trying to get it out. Al his fins are not clamped but he won’t leave the bottom of the tank, even though he is swimming around. This has happened before but it was a quarter of a pea, and he spat it out in an hour. This one has been stuck for 12 hours and it doesn’t look like he can spit it out. How can I or my fish get it out or how will it get it by itself? TIA
IMG_1699.jpg

If its not further than his gills you can push it out from behind his gills. You would been to be careful doing this but it's and option. My black moor once got a rock stuck in his mouth and that was the only way I could remove it.

Otherwise time may be the best here, the pea should break down enough for him to spit it out or shallow. Other members may have a better idea.

If its not further than his gills you can push it out from behind his gills. You would been to be careful doing this but it's and option. My black moor once got a rock stuck in his mouth and that was the only way I could remove it.

Otherwise time may be the best here, the pea should break down enough for him to spit it out or shallow. Other members may have a better idea.

Hi there, thanks for that. It’s further up than his gills so realistically I should be able to do that but I may have shocked him too much when doing it yesterday so I might wait for the pea to break down. How long would you guess it will take? It’s half a garden pea and he’s got a pretty small mouth. Still wondering how he slurped it in ik he first place!!

I honestly couldnt tell you how long it might take to break down, it could be a day or two.

Goldfish can go a decent amount of time without food but what concerns me is the fish needs to be able to pass water through its gills to breath.

I know you are concerned with stress but the stress you might cause for a minute or two pushing the pea out through the gills with something small and blunt might be better than the fish stressing for a few days with it in its mouth.

You could also try very gently squeezing the fish where the pea is to mush it a little to be able to grab it with tweezers or allow him to be able to spit it out sooner.

These are all suggestions and I cant vouche for any of them being the best thing to do.

Also, do you de-shell you peas and boil them? I don't feed peas to my goldie cause it dirties the water and is a pain but I know you need to make sure they are very soft when you feed them. Have you thought about moving away from peas to something healthier like Mysis Shrimp? Its very good for the goldie, cant choke on it (if you dethaw) and they often times love it like crack. You can buy it at good aquarium shops.

For now, watch your fish as long as you can and see what his actions are, if he's breathing then it might be fine to wait a little longer. I assume he is breathing tho.

Hello, whenever feeding pea's I will smash it between fingers before i drop in water(had incident w/shrimp waffer). Every few days I will feed cucumber seems to work like pea. Goldies & dojos like!!!!! Hope this helps!20190218_064625.jpg

I honestly couldnt tell you how long it might take to break down, it could be a day or two.

Goldfish can go a decent amount of time without food but what concerns me is the fish needs to be able to pass water through its gills to breath.

I know you are concerned with stress but the stress you might cause for a minute or two pushing the pea out through the gills with something small and blunt might be better than the fish stressing for a few days with it in its mouth.

You could also try very gently squeezing the fish where the pea is to mush it a little to be able to grab it with tweezers or allow him to be able to spit it out sooner.

These are all suggestions and I cant vouche for any of them being the best thing to do.

Also, do you de-shell you peas and boil them? I don't feed peas to my goldie cause it dirties the water and is a pain but I know you need to make sure they are very soft when you feed them. Have you thought about moving away from peas to something healthier like Mysis Shrimp? Its very good for the goldie, cant choke on it (if you dethaw) and they often times love it like crack. You can buy it at good aquarium shops.

For now, watch your fish as long as you can and see what his actions are, if he's breathing then it might be fine to wait a little longer. I assume he is breathing tho.

I do deshell the peas and boil them. The only reason he ate this one was because the pea was meant for a bigger fish who didn’t get to it first. He is breathing and I bought some API stress coat. He’s tried to get it out a few times but to no avail and is still only staying on the bottom. I tried to continue to get the pea out from ur suggestions, but did not work. Should I just wait another day or two for it to break down?

Any update on your goldie?

Came home two says later after this post and he spat it out but was really sick with swim bladder and fin rot. I put him in a quarantine tank and added Melafix. That was two days ago and he is looking so much better. His tail is healing but he’s terrified of my hand now from me trying to touch him through the ordeal. He’s recovering and looks so happy though [emoji4]

Glad to hear, for fin rot I usually do 25% waterchanges every other day till fins improve(works for betta freshwater does wonders). I've also heard melafix good too(antiseptic-I use for injuries). Hope this helps!

Glad to hear, for fin rot I usually do 25% waterchanges every other day till fins improve(works for betta freshwater does wonders). I've also heard melafix good too(antiseptic-I use for injuries). Hope this helps!

Yes Melafix works miracles!!

Back
Top Bottom