Peacock bass not eating!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordo124

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a peacock bass yesterday but it wont eat! What should i do? What can i feed it?

don't feed with feeder guppies, you'll introduce disease and parasites into your aquarium. Go with frozen food or pellets. The bass may not eat for up to a week due to being in a new home

Go with frozen food or pellets. The bass may not eat for up to a week due to being in a new home

I agree, I'd also add he may not be pellet trained. I've got numerous friends with large peacock tanks which took weeks to months for them to accept commercial prepared foods. I'd also try things like nightcrawlers from the bait shop or insects like crickets or blood worms from the pet store.

Last edited:
rocksor said:
don't feed with feeder guppies, you'll introduce disease and parasites into your aquarium. Go with frozen food or pellets. The bass may not eat for up to a week due to being in a new home

Ok.. I saw it looking at some of the cichlid sticks but the other fish got to it first which scared him.. I also dropped some bloodworms in there but he didnt take any of them..

IMO If the fish was wild caught or raised on live food you will most likely have to wean it off of feeders. That being said anytime you introduce anything live you system you take the chance of introducing diseases and parasites. If your fish are healthy it should no problem. Of course if it won't eat at all you could watch it starve to death.

I'd try the night crawlers. Any fish, big or small, will go after worms. How big is your bass?

The bass is just a baby.. It about 1.5"-2"... Do just get the night crawlers they sell as bait? Are there night crawlers at pet stores?

I haven't had an issue yet with nightcrawlers sold as bait. I've seen petsmart sell nightcrawlers from time to time.

Did you ask the fish store what they fed the bass?

I haven't had an issue yet with nightcrawlers sold as bait. I've seen petsmart sell nightcrawlers from time to time.

Did you ask the fish store what they fed the bass?

I havent. I am going to call tomorrow to find out..

Back
Top Bottom