Peacock Eel Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nelipot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here's my stats:

29 gal. long planted tank, well established
6 female bettas
5 mystery snails
Water conditions: Ammonia:0, Nitrates:0, Nitrite:0, PH: about 8.0

On Friday I picked out a peacock eel from Petsmart. There were 5 hiding under a rock and one swimming around the tank, I decide I like the one with personality and take him home. From the second he left the bag, he started swimming around the tank again, frantically, as if looking for something. I have three large hiding caves for him, half the tank is sand for him to bury himself in (hasn't even glanced at that) and its well planted. The bettas don't seem to even realize he's there.

I can't get him to eat, he won't stay still long enough for it. I've tried frozen bloodworms, live earthworms, frozen brine shrimp.

He hasn't tried to jump out of the tank, despite his vigorous swimming. I don't know what would make him happy and it's driving me crazy! Did I just pick a neurotic peacock eel?

I'd hate to take him back to that bare aquarium they had at petsmart, I might see if my local store (which is much better about fish) would take him. It kills me to watch beat himself against the glass.

What kind of test kit do you have? An established tank really should have a few nitrates. If its crazy-heavy planted, than its possible to not have any, but usually there should still be some.
He may just be getting used to the new place. It hasn't been very long yet, so give him some time. But if he is actually beating himself against the glass, that suggests a bigger issue.
He might have come to you a little unhealthy depending on how he was cared for at PetSmart, so keep that in mind too. But, with proper care he should hopefully be ok. :)

BTW, I am not sure that 29g is enough for a striped peacock eel in the long term. 40g is usually what is suggested for them, but there does seem to be some different ideas about how big they get. Some people say they top out at like 10 inches, other people say they reach like 14.

Back
Top Bottom