Peacock gender and species ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
Or those who haven't seen my other recent thread, I'm trying to sex my peacocks so I can move the females along and hopefully calm down the males. I have my tank partitioned with males on one side and unknowns/females on the other.

All are one of these: baenschi (yellow regal), stuartgranti cobue (blue regal), stuartgranti usisya (flavescent), aulonocara sp. Lwanda (red top), saulosi (green face), or maylandi (sulphur head). Probably not the latter as I think I've lost all of these ones already. :(

Again, sorry for the repeat pic if you saw my other post. Dominant guy: cobue, right? Maybe saulosi? image-3178986943.jpg

Next dominant: Lwanda? image-3121195277.jpg

This guy acted like a male when in the female side but he only has these dorsal stripes. 2" image-974960713.jpg

The next two have the same orange and black dorsal stripes but have much browner bodies. They're also very subdued: image-1266590202.jpg image-1088481470.jpg

This guy has become the bossiest on the female/juvie side just since this afternoon when I snagged the previous two who were starting to color up: image-3027114882.jpg

Any guesses are appreciated!

Is a lemon jake a baenschi or a stuartgranti? If the former, then that's possible for my two.

First looks like a male lwanda to me. Second is not lwanda looks like lemon jake. Third looks like it's gonna color up to lemon jake Last two are females impossible to tell species

I didn't order Lemon Jakes. How likely is Dave from Dave's Rare Aquarium Fish to send me the wrong peacocks?

I didn't order Lemon Jakes. How likely is Dave from Dave's Rare Aquarium Fish to send me the wrong peacocks?

However unlikely it is, if i ordered a certain species of peacock and it turned out not to be.. That would seriously **** me off and i would be the first to complain.

Thecommunitycichlid, how sure are you about the brown ones being female. Here are some more pics of one of them who swims around more. The other, who's bigger, is always in his/her cave.

Attachments

• image-3212382001.jpg
    image-3212382001.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 52
  • image-3979138151.jpg
    image-3979138151.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image-701929732.jpg
    image-701929732.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 69
They haven't acted male-ish at all since I removed the last one who was beginning to color up more than 24 hours ago. Maybe a more docile species?

This one (pictured) also isn't acting male-ish even though I've been told he's definitely a male with so much red on him at just 1.75-2", the smallest of the juvie/female crowd. He just stays put in this cave. Could that just be his size or could he be a she even this colorful? It's been more than three weeks since he came from the LFS so any color hormones should have worn off by now.

Attachments

• image-2088698645.jpg
    image-2088698645.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 51
Here's a slightly better picture of the red one (and the other brown one with orange dorsal stripe).

Attachments

• image-1481431331.jpg
    image-1481431331.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom