People not taking care of their fish rant #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chels10117

Aquarium Advice Freak
So,

I know many of you noticed my post about my friend not listening to my suggestions about her fish. OH MY GOD GUESS WHAT HAPPEND? He died. But wait get this... She then proceeds to buy 2... Yes 2 fish for this little not even a gallon tank and even worse they were a glofish (white skirt tetra) and a platy [I tried to tell her her pink fish (the glofish) was a glofish but she was like uh no its not it wasn't in that tank. I was like I have 6 of them at home I freaking know what it is]. She got these from Walmart... Key word is "were" because guess what happened to them? Yeah, they died. Never once admitted she did anything wrong. When they died she was like ohhhhh emmm ggg what happened?! I say well for one they were in way too small of a tank. Her responce: They were two small fish from Walmart. K then. I could write a mile long list of what you did wrong but you don't want to admit you were wrong or listen to advice. You would think if your fish keep dying you would take advice, but no. I told you so. It's REALLY not that hard to keep fish if you listen to people's advice. Rant over lol. Maybe somone can share my feelings on how dumb and stubborn people can be....

Confession time ;)

I was that person 54 weeks ago except I had no one to tell me I was wrong. I started with a black moor goldfish in a 2.5g tank. Poor little Wilbur passed way in a week from ich.

<not proud of this> I then commenced to buy 3 more feeder goldfish. A week later and they all died or jumped.

After that I decided that tank really was too small but in memory of Wilbur I kept trying.

Ended up getting a 45g tank, used the inch per gallon rule(with small fish not oscars) and it ran well for a few weeks.

It took me close to 4 months before I permed what cycled was.

I lost a lot of fish because of MY failure to do research beforehand.

In defense though, look at how fish are portrayed, many commercials and pictures display them in bowls with no filters or anything. It brainwashes people(like myself long ago), that fish are easy to care for and you can just plop one in and done!

Hopefully this person wakes up and realizes she's doing it wrong.

Caleb

Most of us have done inappropriate things with fish before we knew better regarding their care and housing.

The only thing I can think of besides what I suggested before with the care sheet is that you point out to this person that fish are living beings as well and deserve a little more regard then she is giving. Outside of that what more can be done? People who don't want help or to be educated are happy in their ignorance at times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

True. I feel so bad for my first fish, a badly neglected veiltail betta. Also, the fish shoppers in Walmart drive me crazy. Once I saw a person buy a rubber lip pleco for a one gallon tank. I would have told them not to buy it, but the last time I tried to warn off an ignorant fish shopper my family got really upset with me.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Many people know me on this forum as just a bit of a loach fanatic.

Before I was a loach fanatic, I put two clown loaches and a yoyo loach in a 26 gallon tank. I had to learn I was doing it wrong before I could start doing it right. Hopefully your friend realizes over time that you're right. But if she doesn't want to learn, unfortunately you can't make her. :(

True,

I know we all make beginner mistakes. It just still bothers me that people can't take advice.

Like, I know I've been there before. But, I listened to the advice of others and researched online instead of being ignorant and stubborn in my ways... Oh well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey you, the guy with with the friend who doesn't listen !!!

SHOW HER DEAD PICTURES OF FISH ALL DAY DUDE!!!![emoji50]
maybe she will get it ... Or maybe never [emoji33]

Clem.

Back
Top Bottom