Peppermint Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frugal75

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My LFS sold me three larger peppermint shrimp to eat the two aptasia in my tank. I have the EVO 13.5.
The shrimp have killed all my snails and they are like the Mafia, lol. Thinking of getting rid of all of them. Any thoughts? Should I keep one? Will they always kill my snails? I think 3 is overkill for such a small tank. Any Thoughts?

Are you sure they are peppermints and not camel shrimp?
Peppermint shrimp are scavengers. If something is on its way out, they will clean it up if it is full dead or working in that direction.
In terms of the aiptasia, peppermint shrimp may or may not consume them anyway. Addition of livestock to solve a problem usually isn't a solution to the problem. I would return the shrimp off of this statement and get a product like aiptasia-x to solve the issue.

They are peppermint shrimp for sure and have eaten the smaller of the two Aiptasia. I have aiptasia X coming in tomorrow to take care of the other one. I wonder if the pet store will take them back. I'd hate to flush them... do you think one is a good idea?

Please for the love of god don't flush them. That's awful. It is a living creature and just doing what it does. They opportunistic feeders. Are you feeding them anything or just relying on them to eat aiptasia only? It looks super pale there.

I've definitely heard of rogue peppermints so it killing snails really isn't unheard of.

Back
Top Bottom