personal experience.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StartledMoose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. =)
I've just joined this website. A week and a half ago I got myself a Arcadia Arc 35litre. I've fully researched the nitrogen cycle and just placed a small fantail goldfish and seven whitecloud minnows in it. In the not too distant future I'm hoping to put 5 amano shrimps in.
Has anyone done a similar setup and have advice?
Yes, I'm aware the fantail gets bigger and will require a larger tank. I'm also aware to do a 20% change every couple of days due to cycling with fish (I have a good ammonia, nitrite, nitrate testing kit).
I suppose my biggest question is. If you have a heavily planted tank with many hiding places, how likely is it that my goldfish will devour all my shrimp?

Welcome to AA!!! Your primary concern right now should be that your tank is not cycled. With a goldfish and multiple wcms in a 9g tank, your toxin levels are going to spike quickly. Do you have a good liquid test kit such as the API fw master test kit? You will likely need to do 50% water changes daily or even more frequently with your present stocking in a small tank. A good water conditioner such as Prime or Amquel Plus will help to limit toxin exposure up to @1ppm but it will not negate the need for frequent water changes. Ill post a link below with more info on fish-in cycling.

In respect to the shrimp, your goldfish will likely eat them all. The goldfish may even eat the wcms, so keep this in mind as well. If you would like to keep amano shrimp, I would suggest keeping this tank as shrimp tank and upgrading the goldfish and wcms to a larger tank (25+g). Pleease ask if you have any questions! :)

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

In my experience, goldfish don't believe in planted tanks :p mine ate all the plants down to the roots.

I know its not what you want to here but some should tell you.I think you should rehome your goldie untin u have and upgraded tank he will probably outgrow your tank bytime your finished cycling it.If you get rid of him you can have a nice planted tank with some shimp and your wcmm's.

Back
Top Bottom