Petsmart sale - Marineland 60 gallon combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OwduaNM

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking for some feedback. Petsmart has a Marineland 60 gallon aquarium plus stand and lights for $200. This is the best price I've ever seen for the combo.

Will I have any issues with the aquarium if I buy it?

Also, I have only had smaller tanks (~30 gallons), so I don't really know how much more I would need to invest to get the 60 gallon up and running. Can someone give me a rough estimate of what I would spend to make it tropical fish ready?

Thank you!

Looks like a pretty awesome deal to me... being that a stand for that size of tank would cost nearly as much as all that. If I had the space, I'd probably get that set myself.

As far as what you'd have to invest in it... well, you'd have to decide what you'd want to stock it with... then whether or not you'd want sand or gravel... plants, and thus maybe better lights? Sorry for not being much help on the last part, but I dont have a tank that size either

Look on craigslist first you can find some crazy deals there from people about to move needing to get rid of large tanks and such. I got my 30gallon for really cheap, the guy just needed it out of his garage before they moved

Ya it all depends on what u were going to do with the life stock

I haven't full decided but I am thing Ang fish. There's a small chance I would choose Discus

Ive seen that set up in the ads. With the light, seems like a great deal. Its always a bit rough on the wallet when I get another big tank. IF you have stuff left from your 30 tank, it is woefully too small now. Heater and filter. $25-$50 for a 300 heater. MOST recommend double filtering (at least over filtering), including myself. Really can be any combo of filters to get to around 120 gallons. Lets say anywhere from $80 to the sky for filtering. Luckily most come with starter media, so that would defer some cost till later on. Maybe cheaper if you DIY a sponge filter. $45 for reg 3 x 25 pound gravel. Also many here use cheaper sand etc so that is really adjustable too. At least a $10 bottle of Prime.
Plants, fish, rocks, air pumps and decor can be added according to your budget, all at once or few at a time. I figure if you bought the set up for $200 (dont forget tax!!) and give yourself $200, you could get what you need and have a bit of fun money left. Especially if you really pound out some sale items. Petsmart has AWESOME sales. I recently got a Fluval 300 heater for $20 and before that a Fluval 306 for $120. Good luck!

Thank you for the replies! I definitely would over filter. I have read that at 55 gallons I really need to use a canister filter, but I would also want to add at least one over the edge filter. My 36 gallon tank uses two aqueon power flow filters right now.

I am trying to convince my wife that this is a really great deal!

I use a canister and a HOB on each big tank. 2 55's and a 75 gallon. The 306 is rated up to 90 gallons and I use Aqueon 55/75 on each also. I DON'T buy their replacement pads though. These Aqueons have bio up front, and use 2 large pads in back (floss and charcoal) at ridiculous prices. I cut my own floss out of craft batting and skip the charcoal. I use 4 "squares" and a rubber band on each filter. One batting (king size bed) costs $12 and lasts over a year! My poly floss bag (for the canisters and bottles) is $4 and that lasts a year too.
PLUS I use the $15 Marineland 450 powerhead in each. These come with many parts. I use just the graduated intake nozzle because I made floss filters out of plastic Ice (drink) bottles. So I get a light powerhead flow with the bonus of a bit extra mech filtering.
I did score a Cascade 1000 canister for $80 at Petco too. It was on sale online, but not in the store, so after haggling for 20 minutes and my $20 worth of $5 rewards coupons I was a happy camper! I like the Fluvals better, but this Cascade works good so far and got it for a steal.
I just share this, not for you to do, but just because there are so many ways to save money, everyone has different ideas and imaginations.
Anyway, sounds like you are right on top of things. So tell your wife you will do price matching and sales etc, she will HAVE to be impressed with you! :brows:

Back
Top Bottom