Ph and aeration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baffle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How much difference in PH. is there in a planted tank with aeration vesus no aeration? Using 7.1 tap water! My tap water is 7.1 but the tank stays above 7.6 The tank has a sump, and this causes fine air bubbles. I also have 2 large pieces of driftwood in there, and I thought they would be somewhat acidic. The bottom is pea gravel, Neutral ph I hope!

pour yourself a fresh glass of water and check the ph. let it sit for 24hrs and then recheck the ph and see where you're at. if you're tank isn't in line with what you have found from the glass then something else in your tank is altering your ph.

In this tank i can't keep angelfish alive very long. PH maybe?

if the ph isnt stable, then yes, that could be the problem... 7.6 is certainly acceptable for angels, though 7.6 one day then 6.4 the next, and so on would not be... if the ph is stable, id be looking for other causes

I read that high PH is bad for an angels internal organs! Years ago I reared angels, and it didn't seem to be a problem. It could be the big box store where I bought them. They seemed to be ok for months, then died one at a time.

The bottom is pea gravel, Neutral ph I hope!

Not necessarily .... depends on where the gravel comes from. You can test by soaking some gravel in your tap water & checking the pH after a week or 2. <That is assuming your tap water has stable pH sitting out on its own.>

But as others had said, a stable pH of 7.6 should be fine for angels ....

Back
Top Bottom