pH and nitrAtes dropping.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
8/20/05

Finally got a po4 test kit.

My po4 is 0.1 and my kh is 3 or 53.7.

I do have hair algae on some leafs, not bad but it's there.
Are my numbers out of balance ?

Thx,

Dave

To prevent algae the recomended ratio of NO3:PO4 is 23:1-10:1.. and recomended NO3 levels in a planted tank is around 10ppm.. so your recomended PO4 level would be .435-1ppm of PO4.. it seems you need to dose some PO4.. HTH

Green, why 23:1?

Dave, I believe UV will only treat free floating algal spores, and not algae already attached to plants.

czcz.. for some reason 23:1 is what steve hamton recomends on his site.. LOL.. Im by far no expert.. most people stick to 10:1 because its easier to do..
And UV is only good for floating algae and parisites.. it wouldnt help prevent hair algae or elimiante it..
and chucks calculator is how you calculate your dose of PO4..
check the ferts. sticky there should be a link to it.. :p

Ok, If I mix 5 TBS of no4 with 16 oz of water and dose that over a 7 day period, that would bring me up 0.97 ppm Phosphate, I'm at 0.1 now ? Shouldn't bring me up to about 1 ppm no4?

Dave

Wait that doesn't sound right. I need to recalculate !

It sounds like you calculated up to 1.07ppm PO4.. that would be close.. Im assuming you have your NO3 at 10ppm.. From looking at the calculator you should be working with KH2PO4....what is the no4 comming from?

Here's what I'm looking at..

And I'm gonna dose with Mono Potassium Phosphate, correct ?

dave

Attachments

• dosing_calculator.jpg
    dosing_calculator.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 33
Dave, yeah, 16oz still needs to be dosed per mL. You could dry dose 1/32tsp ("smidgen" per your measuring spoons) and get your target levels, assuming KH2PO4.

There's also K2HPO4 out there, which I believe is potassium phosphate, and mono potassium phosphate is called such because potassium is normally diatomic, but I may be wrong. If you do have K2HPO4, per an earlier post saying you had potasium phosphate, your dosing will be slightly more, since K2HPO4 is ~54.5% PO4 and KH2PO4 is ~69.8% PO4 (K is heavier than H). This isnt a big deal as dosing does not need to be exact, just a heads up.

It is best to spread your weekly total dose to a couple or more smaller doses, but as such low ppm I doubt this necessary. I would just dose with water change, or drop 1/16th tsp into your ECS since it gets used up in about two weeks :)

Dose a total of 1/32tsp / smidgen per week to start. It is unlikely your tank has very high PO4 uptake. :)

How do your plants look? Since you're getting to the point of dosing P, you may need to address K and trace soon. too. Is this your local clay tank? Perhaps you already have Fe and nutes in your substrate. Would love to read more of your observations from this experiment.

Back
Top Bottom