PH Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DougInPA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am hoping someone can answer a PH question. My PH is high, up around 8.5-9. I am going to use PH down but was wondering how fast is safe.

Also, when doing a water change, I see advice saying its better to put water in a bucket and lower it there. Then transfer it to the tank.

I’m just getting started and will need a water change in the next few days. Ammonia and nitrate levels are rising.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your tank is cycling, the water parameters will fluctuate. Test the PH directly from your tap to get a more accurate reading. I wouldn't use chemicals to lower PH. The water won t stablize and will suddenly rebound back to the original mark. Once your tank has completely cycled and if the PH remains high, try lowering the PH naturally with driftwood. Note: if you are currently using limestone in your aquascape, it will raise the PH.

You need to measure your KH before we can provide any meaningful answers on the effects of ph down.

pH Question

I am hoping someone can answer a PH question. My PH is high, up around 8.5-9. I am going to use PH down but was wondering how fast is safe.

Also, when doing a water change, I see advice saying its better to put water in a bucket and lower it there. Then transfer it to the tank.

I’m just getting started and will need a water change in the next few days. Ammonia and nitrate levels are rising.

Thanks!

Hello Doug...

If you're cycling your tank with a hardy fish species, they'll tolerate a higher pH as long as it's steady. Adding chemicals to change the pH is risky, because it's so difficult to maintain a steady change. During the nitrogen cycle, water changes should be no more than 25 percent of the tank volume when needed. This will keep the chemistry in a relative safe zone for the fish and still grow the bacteria colony.

B

Back
Top Bottom