Ph dropping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrashCourse

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently upgraded my 10 gallon to a 29 (yay!). The 10 was cycled, just transferred everything over, added a couple of new fish. I have x ray tetras and a baby angelfish in it now, and cory fry in a breeder box.
My tap water is well water, with a water softener that doesn't seem terribly reliable. Ph isn't exactly stable, usually stays in the mid 6-7 range. I tested the 29 tonight, and the ph is roughly 6.2-ish, my other 20 gallon showed about 6.6. There is nothing in either tank, such as driftwood, that I'm aware would lower the ph.
I'm not so much worried about low ph, as all the fish I have can live in it (assuming it doesn't drop TOO low), I'm more concerned about the low levels damaging the bacteria and harming the cycle.
I have seen a small rise in ammonia, which is to be expected with the new additions. I've been working long hours lately, and dosing with Prime to help keep the water non-toxic, if not ideal, on the nights that I just can't get a water change in.
So my questions are:

Does Prime lower the ph, directly or indirectly?

Since my ph seems to swing a bit anyway, is it a good idea to add crushed coral or shells to raise the ph, if the low levels are only temporary? I'm scared adding something will cause it to rise higher than I'd like... Or swing to the 7 or higher range for fish that prefer slightly acidic.

At what level does low ph become harmful to the BB? I'm trying to build it up to accommodate the new additions, and if hate to lose any and see another mini cycle. I feel like I've been battling some stage of cycling almost constantly for the past 6 months between the two tanks, and the daily water changes are killing me. My whole life is work and fish these days. Haha.

What causes ph to drop in one tank, but not the other, when the setup is almost identical?

Thanks!

I recently upgraded my 10 gallon to a 29 (yay!). The 10 was cycled, just transferred everything over, added a couple of new fish. I have x ray tetras and a baby angelfish in it now, and cory fry in a breeder box.
My tap water is well water, with a water softener that doesn't seem terribly reliable. Ph isn't exactly stable, usually stays in the mid 6-7 range. I tested the 29 tonight, and the ph is roughly 6.2-ish, my other 20 gallon showed about 6.6. There is nothing in either tank, such as driftwood, that I'm aware would lower the ph.
I'm not so much worried about low ph, as all the fish I have can live in it (assuming it doesn't drop TOO low), I'm more concerned about the low levels damaging the bacteria and harming the cycle.

6.2 is close to too low. It sounds like you have no buffering capacity. What is your KH? Fishwaste alone will lower the pH with no available buffering capacity.;

I have seen a small rise in ammonia, which is to be expected with the new additions. I've been working long hours lately, and dosing with Prime to help keep the water non-toxic, if not ideal, on the nights that I just can't get a water change in.
So my questions are:

Does Prime lower the ph, directly or indirectly?

No. Prime does not lower the pH.

Since my ph seems to swing a bit anyway, is it a good idea to add crushed coral or shells to raise the ph, if the low levels are only temporary? I'm scared adding something will cause it to rise higher than I'd like... Or swing to the 7 or higher range for fish that prefer slightly acidic.

crushed coral will increase the KH, and subsequently, increase your pH. The low pH levels you are experiencing will only be temporary if the acid source is removed from your tank (your fish) or if you increase buffering capacity. If you want to increase your pH to a specific level (6.6 - 6.8) then I would suggest a more precise method.

First, test your KH and know what your alkalinity currently is. It may be 0, or it may be 3. Add an alkaline buffer like Seachem's alkaline buffer or baking soda out of your pantry. I recommend baking soda since it is about the same as Seachem's product and much cheaper. Add 1/4 tsp of baking soda per 5 gallons of tank water to increase your KH by about 1.5 degrees.

If you don't have and can't find a KH test kit. Just add 1/4-1/2 tsp of baking soda to your tank, then in an hour test the pH. If the pH didn't change by more than .4 then add another quarter tsp and check in an hour. My guess is you just need to add less than 1 tsp of baking soda to your tank to bring your KH up and subsequently your pH from 6.2 to 6.6-6.8.

The increase in your KH will make your pH more stable. You will only need to add the alkaline buffer (baking soda) to new water you are replacing in a water change, not to replace evaporation.

At what level does low ph become harmful to the BB? I'm trying to build it up to accommodate the new additions, and if hate to lose any and see another mini cycle. I feel like I've been battling some stage of cycling almost constantly for the past 6 months between the two tanks, and the daily water changes are killing me. My whole life is work and fish these days. Haha.

below 6.0 and your bacteria start to decrease in numbers.

What causes ph to drop in one tank, but not the other, when the setup is almost identical?

Thanks!

Your older tank will have had minerals accumulate over time as you replaced evaporated water wtih tap water, increasing the KH and the available buffering capacity.

Thanks so much for your response. Ill test when I get home. I haven't tested this tank yet for kh/gh, but I know my results in the other tank were very low. The green one, I can never remember which is which, never changed color at all, so I guess either 0 or 1.
It had dropped even lower overnight, to about 6, so I did a small water change (all I had time for) before I left for work to hopefully get me through the day. Ill add some baking soda tonight when I get home, and post the results after it settles.

I was just able to test the tank.

Ammonia: up to .25
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0, but they are always zero, so I'm not too concerned here.
Ph: back up to about 6.5 from just the small pwc this morning.

Both kh and gh never changed color. From the first drop, they were very pale tints, but definitely green and orangey-yellow. So I'm guessing zero or one for those again.

Should I still dose with baking soda, or just keep an eye on it? I think so, since I'm guessing it will continue to drop the longer it's in the tank. I'm just hesitant to mess with it, since I'm back into a safer range.
I don't think my cycle is completely damaged, since I would think the ammonia would be much higher by now if it was. Both nitrite and nitrate readings are consistent with my normal results. Now I'm just confused.

Thoughts?

pH Really goes down when ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates come. If you get build up, pH will drop. People say vinegar is safe, wont color you're water and is good to lower pH
If you use baking soda, you will lower you're pH. I am not sure if you want to make it go up, if so, you would need to do around 1-3 water changes daily, or use a pH up bottle(Very easy), witch will make it go up.
Make sure not to variate it more then .5, or you're fish might be killed by the shock of the pH change.

I don't necessarily want to raise it, so much as stabilize it at a healthy level, even if its a little on the low side. I try to avoid chemicals other than conditioner, but baking soda is a base that will neutralize the acidity in the water. Vinegar is acidic, and will lower it further.

I ended up adding 1/4 teaspoon to both tanks, as the 20 was dropping a little low too. Hopefully it'll be enough to stabilize without shocking the fish. I'll keep monitoring, and can post updates if anyone is interested.

Also, here's a pic of the 29. The decorations are a little mix-and-match, ...BUT I didn't have to buy anything new. So there's that. I think it's cute, even if its a little inconsistent.:)
And the X-rays and baby angel.

Attachments

• image-2935879750.jpg
    image-2935879750.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1430783341.jpg
    image-1430783341.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 53
  • image-1432349846.jpg
    image-1432349846.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 54
pH Really goes down when ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates come. If you get build up, pH will drop. People say vinegar is safe, wont color you're water and is good to lower pH
If you use baking soda, you will lower you're pH. I am not sure if you want to make it go up, if so, you would need to do around 1-3 water changes daily, or use a pH up bottle(Very easy), witch will make it go up.
Make sure not to variate it more then .5, or you're fish might be killed by the shock of the pH change.

You're wrong. baking soda will increase your pH and increase it up to 8.4 if you add enough. Initially it will increase your pH very slowly as you build your carbonate hardness. bicarbonate salts are alkaline buffers.

pH up bottles are sodium hydroxide (NaOH). It doesn't directly add to your KH to help stabelize, and is more commonly known as caustic soda and used to unclog drains. You can decide if you want to put this in your tank. I'll stick with baking soda to raise KH & subsequently pH. I recommend others do the same.

Sodium Hydroxide burn

Attachments

• Sodium_hydroxide_burn.jpg
    Sodium_hydroxide_burn.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 46
You're wrong. baking soda will increase your pH and increase it up to 8.4 if you add enough. Initially it will increase your pH very slowly as you build your carbonate hardness. bicarbonate salts are alkaline buffers.

pH up bottles are sodium hydroxide (NaOH). It doesn't directly add to your KH to help stabelize, and is more commonly known as caustic soda and used to unclog drains. You can decide if you want to put this in your tank. I'll stick with baking soda to raise KH & subsequently pH. I recommend others do the same.

Sodium Hydroxide burn
Yes, i made a mistake. I get mixed up a lot. Sorry:/

Back
Top Bottom