Ph help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amydaveg

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am trying to maintain a new tank ph at 7 , but it remains around 7.4.

I have added seachem neutral regulator daily for a few days and it does not budge.

It does not make the water cloudy, just no change in Ph. Any suggestions? Should I try a different product ?

The tank has about 5 new world cichlids.

The only other variable is that I am changing water daily due to ammonia issues , but only about 25% now.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop trying to alter your PH. It is not necessary for most species and its just too difficult to maintain a proper constant ph that way. Having a consistent ph level that doesn't change is more important than anything else. 7.4 should be perfectly fine for most new world cichlids.

I agree. My 20 gallon tank is only a little over a month hold and holds steady at pH 7.4. It did spike to 7.8 after my nitrites went from 2 ppm to 0 ppm, so I added Prime and that helped.

I read that driftwood and plants help with pH and alkalinity, so you might want to add to your tank.

Good luck

Stop trying to alter your PH. It is not necessary for most species and its just too difficult to maintain a proper constant ph that way. Having a consistent ph level that doesn't change is more important than anything else. 7.4 should be perfectly fine for most new world cichlids.

+1 is better to have a steady ph level than try to change it and have ph swings up and down,that can stress the fish and evetualy kill them...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree. Ph "problems " have been blown out of proportion according to several very knowledgeable people in the hobby that I have contacted . My Ph is 8.4 and I was very worried . I was told to not worry about it and to just acclumate my new fish properly. All of my fish, and plants are very happy. Do not mess with your Ph.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I keep reading that you should leave pH alone, I know. I can't help it though, my concern is less pH but more KH in my situation. I am considering the use of Fluval Peat pellets, in small amounts, in my HOB filter. Better than chemical tinkering, I believe. Thoughts?

Frankly I don't even monitor my KH. I'm not sure that an amount of peat that small in your HOB would have any effect.

I read your posts and comments above. Leave it alone, you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom