ph is at 8.4 in my topical freshwater tank - what do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wakijaki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
I recieved my Api master test kit today as advised to buy by forum members! Couldn't wait to try it out however I am now alarmed at the results of the ph test. I did the first ph test and it came out a deeper colour than what was on the chart so I used the test for the high range ph and the results where the ph is at 8.4. Ammonia - 0. Nitrite - 0. Nitrate - 0. So I am now really worried about the ph level.
I checked it last week but with tetra test strips and it was 7.2 so why is it suddenly so high and what can I do about it?
Would really appreciate any advise on this as I'm worried about the health of my fish. I did a 25% water change 5 days ago and every few days I use the gravel cleaner to remove the fish waste from the substrate before straining the water and adding it back in.
Will my fish be ok? What should I do?

Your test strips were inaccurate ... the API test master number is your pH's truer value.

How are your fish doing? If they look healthy and happy then yes they're fine.
pH is very overrated .. keeping a stable pH is the key. Test the pH again after your next pwc .. if it's still around 8.4 then that's basically your tanks stable pH number. Chances are your fish have adapted to it fine.

I had this happen to me too. Your fish will be fine. The stips are very inaccurate ad probably don't go that high just like the pH drops don't. As long are the pH is constant you will be fine.

One thing I would do is test the tap water. Don't test it right out of the tap however, instead air it out for 24h then test it. 8.4 is pretty high, but at the moment I'd be more concerned with keeping it constant and figuring out where your tap is.

Hi thanks for your quick replys, I just tested it again using the strips and it still comes up as a ph of 7.6 - I was wondering if I had done the drop test wrong somehow but I followed all the instructions.
All the fish in there look fine and healthy, very active as normal. Due for next water change in a couple of days so will test it again then, thanks for your reassurances - I was panicking then!
However on the same topic - if my ph is so high would it effect any new fish I might add in the future?
Thanks again ;-)

Hi thanks for your quick replys, I just tested it again using the strips and it still comes up as a ph of 7.6 - I was wondering if I had done the drop test wrong somehow but I followed all the instructions.
All the fish in there look fine and healthy, very active as normal. Due for next water change in a couple of days so will test it again then, thanks for your reassurances - I was panicking then!
However on the same topic - if my ph is so high would it effect any new fish I might add in the future?
Thanks again ;-)

Google 'Drip acclimation' and do it very slowly :)

Thanks again ;-)

It's all on how you acclimate your fish. If your getting your fish from an a true LFS (and not one dozens of miles away), then chances they're tanks pH is similar to yours as they could be using the same water source as you. However drip acclimation as roundar suggested is a solid way to acclimate.

Forget using those strips ... use the API to test your pH moving forward.

Good Luck!

Thanks to you all!
Yes have heard about Drip acclimation and will certainatly try that next time I get any more fish as I have had a few losses so far and all have been either the same day or a few days after so want to make this as stress free as possible for the fish. My local fish shop is less than 5 minutes drive from home so hopefully it is the same water. I understand I need an air line but am confused about the type of valve I would need to be able to do the drip....any pointers?
Roundar I will do what you suggested and test the tap water also after letting it air.
Massive thanks :)

Here's a picture of what I did:

img_1425428_0_8290dbbedcaadbf47b84bb6f9132e251.jpg

any kind of valve will work, I've even heard of just tying a knot in the line and tightening it accordingly.

Really, pH is one of the most overrated and overly-dramatized things about this hobby. I remember how I started out and I totally worried about my pH and always tried to lower it, ended up killing my fish. pH is better if it stays constant than trying to change it to the fish's needs. Almost all freshwater fish (with the exception of a few) can survive in a pH that is not natural to their environment as long as the pH stays constant.
I've never tried drip acclamation before but plan to, because I was thinking about getting angelfish to my tank but they always die on me a week or so after I put them in. So, I was going to do drip acclamation by getting some air tubing, tying it in a knot, get the water going, then put the air tubing in the bag and tie it with a rubber band. This is how you drip acclamate, right?

... the results where the ph is at 8.4. Ammonia - 0. Nitrite - 0. Nitrate - 0. So I am now really worried about the ph level.

How long has your tank been running? The numbers you posted indicate that you're not fully cycled IMO. If you were, you should be seeing some nitrAtes (no3) and a tank that's cycling can have a pH level that will fluctuate.

I agree that the pH at 8.4 is fine as long as it's stable, but I'd suggest testing it daily for a week/10 days to make sure it is stable.

If you're not cycled, I'd suggest checking out this link: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Mr limpet - my tank has been running about 10 weeks so far. Yes I have now heard about cycling but didnt have a clue when I first started out so just followed the advice from the lfs - was advised to wait 2 days just to get temp up and give the water a chance to go through the filter. I actually waited 2 weeks before adding fish but have lost a fish every time I have added new ones to the tank which is when I started thinking I need to look elsewhere for advice as what ever the lfs where saying didnt seem to be working.
So how exactly will I know when my tank is properly cycled? Im guessing its not a time scale thing?!
When I tested 5 days ago before doing a 25% water change I had a nitrates reading of 25 but this was using the tetra test strips - today with the api master test kit the result was 0 nitrates. I did was the filter sponges out though as they where filthy but this was just a quick swill in the tank water I had taken out - was this the right thing to do? I was/still am slightly confused about filter maintenance as I don't know if I am then removing the good stuff by washing the sponges?
Gee - and I did honestly think fish would be easier to look after than my dogs - not the case! Lol

roundar - massive thanks for the photo! That will help a lot although want to make sure my tank is where it should be before adding more fish but it helps immensely to actually see what you mean! ;-)

Mr limpet - my tank has been running about 10 weeks so far. Yes I have now heard about cycling but didnt have a clue when I first started out so just followed the advice from the lfs - was advised to wait 2 days just to get temp up and give the water a chance to go through the filter. I actually waited 2 weeks before adding fish but have lost a fish every time I have added new ones to the tank which is when I started thinking I need to look elsewhere for advice as what ever the lfs where saying didnt seem to be working.
So how exactly will I know when my tank is properly cycled? Im guessing its not a time scale thing?!
When I tested 5 days ago before doing a 25% water change I had a nitrates reading of 25 but this was using the tetra test strips - today with the api master test kit the result was 0 nitrates. I did was the filter sponges out though as they where filthy but this was just a quick swill in the tank water I had taken out - was this the right thing to do? I was/still am slightly confused about filter maintenance as I don't know if I am then removing the good stuff by washing the sponges?
Gee - and I did honestly think fish would be easier to look after than my dogs - not the case! Lol

NP wakijaki :)
That's a good way to clean the filter, tap water can/will kill the good bacteria. I'd probably test the nitrate again just to make sure. If the tank is cycled there will be some nitrates unless you just did a 100% water change :) Check out Mr. Limpets link, it should give you some idea's what makes a tank cycled.

When I tested 5 days ago before doing a 25% water change I had a nitrates reading of 25 but this was using the tetra test strips - today with the api master test kit the result was 0 nitrates. I was/still am slightly confused about filter maintenance as I don't know if I am then removing the good stuff by washing the sponges?

I don't believe anyone's asked ... and I did not see it mentioned on the previously ..do you have live plants in your tank? The only thing I could think of, if so, is they're soaking up nitrates? I agree that a cycled tank should show nitrates. An-cycled thank should've also shown some ammonia with maybe some nitrites while cycling. All zeros across the board is like introducing brand new water for the first time.

You rinsed the sponges the correct way ... relax the BB literally adheres to surfaces and they do not just some off easily. Patience and eventually your fish will require relatively little maintenance once your tank's established .. then unlike a dog .. you can leave for a couple of days and not worry about a pile of poop on your floor:D.

Go thru the link I posted and keep testing daily for ammo, no2, no3 IMO/E. You may have already passed the bacteria build up for ammo and possibly no2, but you do want to see from 5-20ppm no3 at any given time even if you have plants.

As others said you did a bang up job on cleaning the filter sponge correctly. Does it have any biomedia and what kind of filter is it? The biomedia look like tubes, or long round ceramic bits and these will be the best place for your bacteria to colonize in.

Once you get the tank cycled, things get very easy and feeding once a day or every other day, with a PWC every week or 2 will keep it humming along for sometime :D.

I don't believe anyone's asked ... and I did not see it mentioned on the previously ..do you have live plants in your tank?

Yes I have lots of plants in there including a couple of moss balls.
I might just rerun all the tests later after work just to make doubly sure I haven't made a mistake with the test kit as it was my first time using it.

Thanks everyone for the reasurance that I have cleaned the filter correctly - was quite worried about washing the sponges out!

As others said you did a bang up job on cleaning the filter sponge correctly. Does it have any biomedia and what kind of filter is it? The biomedia look like tubes, or long round ceramic bits and these will be the best place for your bacteria to colonize in.

Mr limpet - I have an AQUA-PRO NP 3 200-400 L external filter. In this I have got carbon and ceramic noodles and 2 sponges. I did have black plastic balls in there but they were making too much noise so I was advised by lfs to remove them.

Can't thank you all enough for all your advise!:thanks:

Looks like a decent canister. I'd suggest saving the carbon for when you need to remove meds and use poly-fil in its place.

Please keep us updated on how things go and pics are always welcome :D.

Back
Top Bottom