pH is High!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just to confirm my hunch, my ph on Friday was 7.4. Saturday I purchased 6 or 7 Lava rocks. Today I just started adding ammonia to begin my fishless cycle. Question. Did my pH increase over two days because I added lava rock?

What was your original pH?

7.4 is fine. Most pH levels are fine as long as the fish is acclimated carefully if they're way outside of what the fish is used to.

What kind of Lava rock were they? Cooled lava? Somthing made of lava? If so it might also be leeching poison from the lava into the water.

Sorry everyone, my pH went from 7.4 to 8.8 with the addition of lava rock. The type of lava rock is unknown other than it has a coppery red color and is porous and does not have allot of weight to it. It almost feels and sounds like charcoal when they rub together.

When you read 7.4, how long did water stay in the tank? Did you measure right after pouring water into the tank by any chance?

Dis the Lava maby even the water. Lava has many poisons and so if you put a fish in it might die. You can try some guppies and see how they do. If their fine then the lava rock might not be poison.

Lava rock is fairly standard issue for ponds. I don't think they would be toxic after aging. <Fresh lava is a different story.>

3 possibilities:
1. Your tap water has dissolved CO2, and the pH naturally goes up after sitting out for a few days. <Test by letting some tap water sit out for a day or 2 & seeing what the pH is.>
2. Something in your tank is dissolving into the water - shells, limestone, etc. The rocks are suspects. <Test after you confirmed that tap water holds stable pH. Soak some of the rocks in tap water for 3-7 days & see if pH rises.>
3. Ammonia is basic, adding enough will alter your pH. <Did you test the pH BEFORE adding ammonia?>

Yeah definitely test tap water. Mine is >8.8 out of the tap & doesn't drop in the bucket even after 3 days, but my tanks maintain 7.8 even within 24 hrs after a 30% water change.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom