PH level question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I decided to test my PH level today and surprising it had dropped to around 6.4. I added 7.5ml of PH increaser to raise it back to neutral 7. Will test the PH level this evening. What are other things you can do to raise the PH level other then using chemicals. I am currently in the process of conditioning my tank to support 2 pairs of GBR's. Next I will be picking up a nitrate test since my fiance lost mine in one of her cleaning rampages. My ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0. I just did a 50% water change a few days ago so I'm sure but not positive my nitrates are in good order but it never hurts to be assured. Right now I am also caring for between 10 to 15 apple snail hatchlings so I have to be careful of any adjustments I make.

Those chemicals that adjust pH can do more harm than good. The acidity of your water is one of the least consequential of your parameters.

placing a small bag of coral sand in your filter or substrate will stabilize the pH.

pH Information

Hello Chrono...

Trying to change and maintain pH, hardness, and any other tank conditions like this will likely cause sudden changes in your water that can harm your fish.

Unless you're trying to keep rare fish, you don't need to worry about public tap water. Your fish and plants will adapt, they've been doing that in other tanks for a long time.

The only thing you need to do is treat the tap water for chlorine, chloramine and ammonia and then do large and frequent water changes. Your only job is to be the "water keeper". The fish and the plants will take care of themselves.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Chrono...

Trying to change and maintain pH, hardness, and any other tank conditions like this will likely cause sudden changes in your water that can harm your fish.

Unless you're trying to keep rare fish, you don't need to worry about public tap water. Your fish and plants will adapt, they've been doing that in other tanks for a long time.

The only thing you need to do is treat the tap water for chlorine, chloramine and ammonia and then do large and frequent water changes. Your only job is to be the "water keeper". The fish and the plants will take care of themselves.

B

Water Keeper..I like the phrase and analogy..and I agree with your comments

Okay so today I tested my water and my ph was at 7.0, nitrites 0, nitrates were less then 20 and ammonia was at absolute 0. All my fish are happy happy, now I used aqadvisor and currently am considering upgrading my tetra whisper 30 to a tetra whisper 70 for exceptional filtration.

Oh and for my cichlids they will be rehomed in a brand new 20gallon tank for Christmas. Them be some spoiled fishes. And I'll be giving my father in law my 10 gallon tank and I'll be helpin him setup a miniature tetra tank that mimics their natural environment. Just gotta teach him how to cycle properly.

Back
Top Bottom