pH Question? pH will not go down!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 60g planted tank is almost finished cycling and the plants are almost completely rooted down and my next step is to add angelfish. I know that angels need slightly acidic water to neutral (6.8-7.0). Is that right? Anyways, I tested my pH with the API master freshwater test kit and it read higher than 7.6, so I bought some API pH Down and pH Up. I have been using the pH Down for 2 days like 3 times a day because it will not go down! I even used Seachems pH neutralizer and it still won't go down. I have hear of people using peat moss and pellets, but how? Any ideas are welcome and thanks!

I use peet moss granules in a silk bag in my filter but I don't think it changed my ph at all. Honestly I've been told changing ph is usually unnecessary and does more harm to fish then good because of the fluctuation you will prob see from messing with it I bet Angels would be okay in that waters ph just drip acclimate them slowly and you should be okay

I agree. It's safer to leave the chemicals alone. If your determined to drop the ph then try to do it naturally. See what your source water's ph is. If it's lower than your tank ph then something is buffering the aquarium water, possibly substrate or rock decor.

Ok but I have ordered some peat granuals and Seachem Purigen for some extra filter media for my large canister filter..has anyone had experience with these products? They are supposed to control ammonia, nitrates, nitrites by removing nitrogenous wasted that can be harmful to the tank, while bringing the pH to a stable 6.8-7.0 which is what I want rather than the high alkalinity...

What is your PH exactly when you use the high range PH test? Most fish, angels included, will adapt to your PH. Stability is more important than the actual number. I've read of people keeping and even breeding angels in PH's all the way up to mid 8's. I'd say not to bother with the chemicals which can cause more harm than good and not worry about the PH as long as it stays stable.

I noticed you're from the northeastern US. I and all of my aquarium buddies from this general area have noticed that our water is around 7.2-7.5 in ph, and we have also noticed that lava rock and driftwood not only make great anchors for plants, but that they also help lower ph a little (y) Simple rule to follow- Slowly acclimate your fish to your parameters and maintain the stability of the ph. It's more important that your tank be at 0 ammo, nitrites, nitrates than be at a perfect 7.0ph, though I do suggest some lava rock and a couple pieces of driftwood, you should be ably to buffer down to about 7.3 that way, and good luck, and remember, you can always use distilled water as a way of buffering as well.

Back
Top Bottom