pH Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyanRan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been reading a few posts, and have seen that a desirable pH to have is close to 7? My water in my tank has been measuring to about 8.0... I did a check on my water straight from the tap and it is very similar. The tank has a significant amount of crushed coral in it, mixed with regular grey geo-substrate. The CC has been in there for over a year though, so is it true that it won't make much of a difference anymore? The water having the same pH as the tap water makes sense right? Or does the pH change when it is in the tank? Just wondering about these things as I get my other water tests levelled out.

It shouldn't change in the tank unkess something in the tank (such as the crushed coral) is changing it, and desirable ph all depends on the fish you keep

I have been reading a few posts, and have seen that a desirable pH to have is close to 7? My water in my tank has been measuring to about 8.0... I did a check on my water straight from the tap and it is very similar. The tank has a significant amount of crushed coral in it, mixed with regular grey geo-substrate. The CC has been in there for over a year though, so is it true that it won't make much of a difference anymore? The water having the same pH as the tap water makes sense right? Or does the pH change when it is in the tank? Just wondering about these things as I get my other water tests levelled out.

This probably isnt your isnt your true pH. Run some tap water in a glass, allow it to sit for 24 hours, stir it occasionally. After the 24 hours test it.

Unless you have VERY sensitive fish your Ph is fine at 8.0. The majority of fish will adapt to it, trying to adjust Ph often times causes big swings which is harmful to the fish & makes maintaining a stable cycle diffcult.

shellieca said:
Unless you have VERY sensitive fish your Ph is fine at 8.0. The majority of fish will adapt to it, trying to adjust Ph often times causes big swings which is harmful to the fish & makes maintaining a stable cycle diffcult.

+1 on this.
Stability matters more than the number.

The pH in the tank shouldn't drop much below 8 due to the crushed coral. I doubt much of anything would lower it. Adding ant type of acid buffer won't work and would be counterproductive. Without first removing all of the crushed coral it would be futile to fight it and even then pH chemicals are more trouble than they're worth.

I'm not sure if the CC is affecting the water anymore, as it is over a year old in there. Does it become leeched of whatever is in it?

The main thing is to keep a constant PH level. Sure everyone wants 7.0 but sometimes that's not achievable, especially if you want sensitive fish species. I know driftwood can lower PH slowly as all as peat moss. I would just suggest to keep a constant stable oh level and you'll be ok

I'm not sure if the CC is affecting the water anymore, as it is over a year old in there. Does it become leeched of whatever is in it?

Crushed coral doesn't leach anything, it slowly dissolves. It will become ineffective when it is gone.

As mentioned above, let a cup of your source water sit out for 24 hours and give it an occasional stir. Or better yet, fill a gallon jug and drop in an air stone. Check the pH after 24 hours of aeration and that will be the true pH of your source water. Only then can you determine if something in the tank is effecting the pH.

Back
Top Bottom