ph question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RTV

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've tested my PH and it is off the charts- test kit measures up to 8.6 and I am above that- this is true of both my main and qt tank- I've only used ro/di water from the lfs so, this confused me. I decided to test their water prior to my last pwc.... guess what???? It's off the charts also. I was hopeful that I could lower ph through pwc's but, if the water I'm using has the same problem, that won't help-

Any suggestions on how to bring the ph down to an acceptable level?

More then likely your test kit is off or expired. I’d get another AP/red sea/ Salifert test kit or take it to the lfs to have them test your water.

I second testing the water with a new/different kit. I pretty much only trust SeaChem and Salifert for SW testing.

RO/DI water should test at or below 7.0pH if the RO membrane is still functional. The DI stage helps remove phosphates and organics.

Here's a way you can test though...what's the carbonate/Kh/alkalinity of the new RO water? RO water should be no more than 1dKh, ideally undetectable levels. if you read no Kh, but a high pH, its likely your kit is bad. if you have lots of Kh, then your RO water isn't worth buying because its as hard as tap water.

Kh in the tank is high (i don't remember the exact figure right this minute but, it measured high and I read where that and high ph went hand in hand) Also, i checked expiration on ph test kit and it is good til '08- of course it could just be a bad kit. I will bring a sample to the lfs this week for a meter reading- I used the kit on my fw tank and it seemed to work appropriately although its a high range kit and the fw tank ph is below its lowest measure. Conversely- i tested the SW tank with my FW kit- may have been a waste of time but, boredom and curiosity got the better of me- again - appeared to measure 8.8 or possibly higher. So my question is this...if they are using local tap water through their ro/di process, would that system adjust the ph? I know the tap water here is very hard.

Back
Top Bottom