PH Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r6mason

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon tank and I am looking to get some cichlid frontose and it says the PH is suppose to be between 7.4-9.4.
What are some products that I an use to get the PH to this level and is it worth it to do. I mean is it more hastle than it is worth.

What exactly do I have to do to keep the PH in this level range.

Thanks
Mason

Well, most of the time tap water has a ph that is between 7.0 and 8.0. Measure the ph of your tap water after you let it sit for 24hours.
If the ph is too low, you can add cc (crushed coral) to your filter. This will raise your waters hardness, and ph will rise a bit and will stay stable. If your tap water measures a ph value which is within the range needed for Frontosa, then you don't have to do anything to change it.

HTH!

so does this mean that most fish can live with a PH at this level??

Not all fish can live with a pH in the upper 8's and 9's. The best way to raise pH is by using the crushed coral (as stated before) or you can use limestone in the tank.

limestone like the rock?? How big of a rock do I need??

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions :oops:

I just dont want to spen all this time and money on these fish and they croak

They are not stupid questions at all r6mason. As a matter of fact, in the past 6 months I have asked every question that you have asked.

The size of the piece of limestone will depend. What you can do is get several small pieces (and by small I don't mean like gravel size, I mean chunks) and prepare the rock, then put 1 piece in the tank. Let it sit for about a month or two and test the pH. And just go from there.

I have not checked it yet. Still trying to let the tank cycle before I get the Frontosa. The LFS says that theirs is 7.8 and any change should be gradually done for the fishes sake. I guess i could put just a glass of water out and test it is 24 hours and get back to you??

Back
Top Bottom