PH rise question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilpi

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tap water's pH usually reads around 7 but all of my tanks read around 7.6.
I understand what can make pH go up in a tank and this is what puzzles me, everything in my tanks would seem to lower the pH instead of raising it. One tank is loaded with driftwood with a bare bottom, the others a combination of store bought gravel and driftwood, one is a planted tank and all tanks read exactly 7.6.
All filtration is biological, no carbon and there is no coral, rocks or any other material that would raise the pH, I do have some movement on the surface but not a lot and I don't treat the water with anything other than a de-chloraminator.
I'm not obsessing over this since my fish have been thriving for many years this way but I'm curious if anyone has experienced this kind of change towards the high side?

Let it air out for 24 hrs than test, my tap literally tests off the chart right out of the faucet but is actually 7.6!

No we meant the testing sample for your tap test. You are supposed to take a cup of tap water and either aerate it or stir is throughout a 24hour period. Then test it to get the true value of your tap's pH.

Mine does the opposite and it tests 7.2 straight out of the tap and then after prepping for the test it comes out to 8.2-8.8. My tap tank tests out at 7.5 now that it's cycled. I am guess the difference in mine is all the dw and the fact that it is heavily planted and dirted.

No we meant the testing sample for your tap test. You are supposed to take a cup of tap water and either aerate it or stir is throughout a 24hour period. Then test it to get the true value of your tap's pH.

Ok, I'll try that. I had a feeling it had to do with aeration or movement once in the tank. But will try and post results. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom